Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

6 yr old with asd chewing stuff

(6 Posts)
Princesspeach1980 Sat 11-Jun-16 16:29:49

My 6 year old is waiting for assessment for asd, and has a variety of different sensory issues but the chewing is a new one. It started a few weeks ago with him chewing the fronts of his tshirt and making them wet. Then he chewed a couple of teeth out of the zip of a hoody and ruined it. He doesn't do it all the time but if he is sat playing with the iPad, or doing homework he does it. He chewed his baseball cap on a coach trip this week too, and quite often tries to chew the curly wire for his headphones.

I've been trying to discourage with the clothes as he ends up wet and uncomfortable, and wanting a fresh tshirt all the time. I've also tried to divert with allowing one toy (a bendy smiley man) that is for chewing and he does quite like that.

Would you suggest getting something designed for chewing on to divert him from ruining other clothes, toys etc, or is that likely to encourage the chewing more? What chewy toys are good? I've been looking at the pendants but it would be just like him to reject what I buy and carry on with the tshirts grin

PolterGoose Sat 11-Jun-16 21:09:40

I would either buy loads of cheap t-shirts and just accept many changes or try some alternatives. If he doesn't take to them now he might later on, so if you buy something and it doesn't work now just put it away for later.

Something like this chew buddy might be a replacement for the headphone cable

And a Taggies comforter might help with fabric/hat chewing. Or even some cotton hankies or cut up old t-shirts.

Also try giving him food at meal and snack times that requires some work, bagels instead of sandwiches, apples, anything that needs biting or chewing.

Princesspeach1980 Sat 11-Jun-16 21:41:48

That chew buddy looks brilliant, just like the headphone cable! Thank you for the suggestions flowers

user1465708606 Sun 12-Jun-16 06:24:42

We have a chewer the same age. She has a variety of these chewigem.co.uk/shop.html to chew and she always has one with her. They are a bit more expensive than some similar things but I have to say they last really well for her, they have various sizes and textures etc so it was a bit of trial and error getting the right ones that she likes. She wears a bracelet at school and has various other ones for home. They have saved us a fortune in replacement clothes.

Princesspeach1980 Sun 12-Jun-16 11:36:45

Thank you for the link, I've been wondering about the pendants. Might have a word with his teacher tomorrow and see if he would be allowed one under his school shirt

sarrah30 Sun 14-Aug-16 13:51:02

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now