Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Sensory seeking

(8 Posts)
TwoLeftSocks Sat 04-Jun-16 11:11:34

DS1 (9) had ADHD and dyslexia dxs. He also has some sensory processing issues, mainly around not being able to block out noise.

Watching him play quietly this morning it's dawned on me that he's a quite a sensory seeker. Puts things in his mouth, ball bearings on his stomach and in his socks, things that make interesting noises (that ironically the rest of us can't block out). I'm sure there's other stuff too.

So I have two questions, is it worth pursuing any specific help with this? Nothing seems to be majorly problematic, other than putting Lego on his mouth etc.

And, could the sensory seeking be useful in any way in helping him with his dyslexia, specifically his spelling and complex phonics? Both are things he's just never quite got, despite help at school.

PolterGoose Sat 04-Jun-16 12:04:12

Meeting the needs of a sensory seeker can be really useful and can increase processing, concentration, coordination and organisation. I don't know the science of it but I liken it to having an itch you can't scratch but is really annoying, it's hard to focus while the itch is there, but once you've scratched it you can get on with stuff.

TwoLeftSocks Sat 04-Jun-16 15:21:50

I like that itch analogy, will have to observe and see how that works, I think DS does alot of things without thinking (impulsively) so won't even realise he's licking his knee, again, till you point it out.

Will have a chat with school and see if they've got any ideas of how to translate that into something productive.

notgivingin789 Sat 04-Jun-16 18:09:02

It might be worth getting him assessed by an Occupational therapist, see what his sensory profile is like and get started on a sensory diet?

DS has recently become sensory seeking; while its beneficiary to him in one way considering his diagnosis ; DS loves getting his haircut and loves the sensory feel of the clippers on his head, he loves loud noises and can tolerate being in loud environment and when there's loads of people. But it effects him in other ways; he is unable to concentrate for long periods of time; it's quite difficult to calm him down; not being able to focus etc.

DS was at an SEN camp where they do loads of occupational therapy like stuff and sensory seeking types of play , as well as SLT, and he was doing these activities everyday and the difference was amazing; he was much more calmer, his body seemed relaxed, he was able to concentrate for longer.

But besides getting him seen by occupational therapist, it's useful to build on his sensory needs daily; eg. I make DS hold quite heavy bags of shopping; I make him hold our Landry and put it in the washing machine; he has a mini trampoline and does some quick jumps... All these things would help your sensory seeking child be able to regulate.

TwoLeftSocks Sat 04-Jun-16 22:54:20

Thanks. I'll have a chat about the OT, if anything it might help me with the dreaded homework as his meds do a great job while he's at school, to the point that I'm out sure how many of the sensory things would be an issue or even noticed at school.

We're fairly on top of his diet, limited though it is, and keep him active for the ADHD side of things. I think though he'd love an indoor trampoline, it would simply be a matter of time before he launched himself out a window or something.

Thinking back to things I've read though, I might look into a heavy duvet for him, might help him feel safe and less likely to be eaten by the monsters under the bed.

knittingwithnettles Sun 05-Jun-16 22:36:17

I was told by an OT that ds1 should have things to chew or munch on whilst doing homework - could be carrot sticks or plain popcorn, nothing especially calorific. Also sucking water from a straw was something to help him concentrate. It explained why ds was always eating, and chewing books, sleeves, collars. Chewy pencil ends, chewing gum whilst working also good.

knittingwithnettles Sun 05-Jun-16 22:38:15

Ds1 also needs to listen to music whilst working. We were again told by the OT that stream of music was good, as long as it was classical, and Mozarty Bach Haydn classical. Now he listens to Classic FM on a loop. This is my dyspraxic son - he doesn;t have dyslexia or ADHD but he cannot concentrate for long and has loads of sensory issues, avoidance mostly.

TwoLeftSocks Mon 06-Jun-16 14:18:23

I like those ideas, he loves listening to music and popcorn. Will give them a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now