Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

After school care for ASD son?

(8 Posts)
ToInfinity Sun 29-May-16 18:43:07

Just wondering what other people do really.
My DS has just been diagnosed with Autism and is due to start in reception in September. Up until now I have been a SAHM, and had anticipated this continuing, however conceiving DC2 is not going to plan, so it looks like I'll be going back to work.
My main concern around this is before and after school care for DS on the days I work. I think he's gonna find school pretty stressful, at least to start with.
So, what do you do? What would you recommend? I want to make the transition to school as easy on him as I can, and fortunately my DH earns enough that we can get by with me working.
I'm not planning to go back to work straight away, but would like to have a plan in place for when I do.

Thank you!

Imaginosity Sun 29-May-16 19:30:38

It depends how his behaviour is I suppose. My DS is age 6 and goes to afterschool 2 days a week. He has high functioning autism. About once ever few weeks he cries and doesn't want to go there and the teacher helps him onto the bus and then he calms down. He also responds really well to working towards rewards. So we constantly talk to the afterschool minders about his behaviour and he earns his reward at the end of the week provided be co-operates. This works really well for him and helps him to control his tendancy to get annoyed. Not sure how your DS would respond?

coffeemachine Sun 29-May-16 19:57:58

I only work school hours now (took me 1.5 years to find). DD doesn't cope with wrap around childcare and nobody wanted her.

most of my friends with children with ASD gave up work all together, some work school hours too and the few who work different ours have family support. Don't know anybody with a f/t job.

I would probably look into starting part time and see how things go. you also have the 15 weeks of school holiday to cover, keep that in mind as well.

PolterGoose Sun 29-May-16 20:00:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Sun 29-May-16 20:03:50

I work from home, so DS doesn't need to have out of school care. 9 days out of 10 he'd be fine, but on that 1 day where everything in school has gone wrong and he just can't take anything more, another group setting would have done for him.

If you have to, I'd look at a childminder maybe? Rather than a large group setting.

ToInfinity Sun 29-May-16 20:35:48

Thanks everyone. Really not sure how he'll cope, he doesn't really talk to other people!
Think we will start with me at home and go from there! Thank you!

MrsBobDylan Sun 29-May-16 22:51:54

It has been very hard to find childcare for my DS but we have kept trying. He goes to a childminders for an hour after school each week and to his big brother's after school club once a week (he attends a sn school with no after school club). The after school school club has been very touch and go and I've had calls to pick him up after 5 minutes on a few occasions.

The childminders is going pretty well and in September he will drop after school club and do 3 one hour after school sessions with her instead.

My DS can be physical and swears so the childminder makes the situation as low stress as possible and it's been successful.

I think it's about finding someone who's interested in looking after a child with additional needs. My childminder wanted an extra 'challenge' and now adores my son-it's good for him to have someone else who cares for him other than dh and me. I had an accident recently and his childminder was able to care for him while my husband was on his way. It was worth its weight in gold to know he was OK.

I'd keep trying to find someone while you're still at home as then you can be on hand to pick up if it goes pear shaped without the worry of letting work down.

Cakescakescakes Tue 31-May-16 18:32:40

I haven't gone back to work because j can't find suitable after school care for my son. He is 5. I would say wait and see how school goes. If he has a formal diagnosis you will be eligible to apply for DLA and carer's allowance which is what is keeping us afloat. I would really love a part time job though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now