Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Waiting for the LA to make a decision about provision for EHC plan

(4 Posts)
lottielou7 Mon 23-May-16 14:27:49

I've posted before about this but I'm really anxious as its nearly crunch time. My dd is 14 and has autism and severe and complex needs. The LA EP wrote a report saying that the current school (generic special school) isn't suitable for her and that she needs class sizes of no more than 4.

I thought we were definitely going to have to go to tribunal because the LA seemed to be saying they didn't agree with their own expert. But then someone from the LA contacted our solicitor to ask whether I had considered X school, which is an independent school which could meet dd's needs so we said yes and that I feel it's suitable for her.

Since then the LA have agreed for this school to assess dd which they have and have now offered her a place. Now we just have to wait to see whether they will agree to provide it for her. If they don't we will definitely appeal but it would be nice if we didn't have to because my dd is desperately unhappy and every day at her current school is one day too many. She has very severe SIB. I was shocked to discover that she spends most of her day walking around the school corridors and her attention span is measured 'in seconds, not minutes'.

I am thinking that as they suggested this school to me that they wouldn't have any good reason to do so if they didn't want to consider it...but you never know!!

AugustaFinkNottle Mon 23-May-16 14:33:22

Sounds good. But just make sure that you don't miss the appeal deadline whilst waiting to hear from the school.

lottielou7 Mon 23-May-16 14:36:50

Well we can't lodge an appeal yet because the LA haven't finalised the plan...

lottielou7 Mon 23-May-16 14:37:19

We've already heard from the school and they've offered her a place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now