Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Right leg muscles

(13 Posts)
Lola2015 Tue 17-May-16 22:20:28

Hi all
Can anybody offer any advice please?
I have an 9 month old daughter. Since she was born her left foot was angled in. We were referred for physio as she kept clenching Her toes on this foot too. Her foot and the toes are bent round almost and seem to be growing in a curved fashion. When I put her in her bouncer, she pushes off on the top of her foot with the toes curled under and is never able to put this foot flat on the ground, the foot curls into a clenched position whenever it strikes the floor.
The physio said she has tight muscles in her left leg compared to her right. What does this mean and should be concerned?
Feeling lost.
Thanks all.

zzzzz Tue 17-May-16 22:49:36

Go to her GP and ask them to explain what is going on. Surely the physio named and explained or referred you to someone who could angry

Summerdaydreams1 Wed 18-May-16 14:50:50

How is she with her milestones, sitting, rolling? Are you seeing the Physio again to ask for clarification?

Lola2015 Wed 18-May-16 17:05:25

Thanks for your replies so far.
We are seeing physio again in a week.
She is rolling back to tummy, not sitting yet.
The physio is unsure whats causing it, thinks the clemching is habit and is therefore causing the muscles to become tight. I am confused and have convinced myself there's more to it than that but I think no one will take me seriously because she is only 9 months and people will bat my concerns away until she is older.

Ineedmorepatience Wed 18-May-16 17:33:07

Dont be fobbed off, request a referral to a paediatrician!

Lola2015 Wed 18-May-16 18:36:30

Ok thank you. So you don't think I'm overreacting?!

Summerdaydreams1 Wed 18-May-16 21:47:23

I don't think you are overreacting, if you as her mum have any worries about dd, you deserve to be listened too. Don't be afraid to tell Physio you are not happy with the information you are being given.

Tight muscles can be responsible for a delay in motor skills but it can also mean nothing , so it is best to get checked out so request a referral to a peadiatrician who will go over dd birth, history and examine dd etc and put your mind at ease.

Lola2015 Wed 18-May-16 22:17:10

Thank you so much. Your replies have really helped me 😪 I have felt so alone and wracked with worry over this since I first noticed the problem. I do keep being told to relax about it and everything will be ok. But I just can't seem to accept that.
Thankyou all x

LovelyWeatherForDucks Thu 19-May-16 19:39:11

I have a 10 month old with similar issues - saw a paed at 8 months who said 'wait and see' and referred us for physio. 6 month wait so have started with a brilliant private physio. She has concerns about the asymmetry and intends to push for the paediatrician to do further investigations if he doesn't make satisfactory progress between now and his follow up paed appointment.

So, yes, as per the other posters - definitely push for a referral to a paediatrician - I am surprised this hasn't already been done. Your physio should be able to provide a report to the hospital with findings.

Lola2015 Thu 19-May-16 20:16:55

Ah thank you so much. I really appreciate your response. I'm sorry to hear you are having similar problems although it is nice to know I am not alone.
Can I ask exactly what the problem is with your little boy? How often do you see the physio?

LovelyWeatherForDucks Fri 20-May-16 19:51:05

You are welcome, also comforting to know others have similar concerns, its so difficult to know when to worry and what the best course of action is!

The physio has noticed a few subtle things, and it looks like he has some weaknesses in his right side (doesn't move his right arm and leg quite as he should) - and this is probably why he isn't meeting milestones (he can sit but can't be left alone as he wobbles over, can roll back to tummy but only does it occasionally). She's given us exercises to try to strengthen his right side, and we're going to have weekly sessions for the next couple of months and then reassess where he is at.

If it's an option, depending how you get on with a paediatric referral, and you aren't happy with the NHS physio perhaps look at getting a private physio assessment?

Lola2015 Sat 21-May-16 21:39:55

Thank you for your reply.
I did look into going private but it's just not an option for us financially at the moment. I was wondering whether to just see a private physio once, purely to get a diagnosis of why her muscles are tight! But I know they won't be able to tell me at this point.
I think I wil see my GP and request a referral. Have the exercises your physio shown you worked?

Youarenotkiddingme Tue 24-May-16 18:02:51

Do you have a HV? Sometimes they can be instrumental in getting referrals for babies. I'd point out milestones -eg sitting - and ask at what age not sitting is considered for referral. Also ask how they can stop her rolling her toes etc, any footwear, splinting etc.

Sometimes asking direct questions helps get them to make referrals because they know you aren't going to 'wait and see'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now