Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Where do I start with getting DD assessed for ADHD?

(5 Posts)
StrictlyMumDancing Sun 15-May-16 19:23:14

I'm largely sure DD has ADHD. She ticks all the boxes. I've lost count of the times I've cried to DH that she doesn't seem to have developed far since she was 3 (she's 5 now), which seems unfair because she can learn things very well but emotionally, behaviourally, etc. she's still very much the same. I've suspected for a while, because I have it and she's so like me.

She's not fully struggling in school, a lot is being put down to her poor hearing (awaiting op to hopefully resolve that). At the same time they've marked her down for her poor communication skills hmm and seem to expect her to be at a par with her peers who don't have issues. She's not dim and she's not the biggest trouble maker so she is largely ignored unless I bring up issues or she does something overt. I have little faith that they would be observant enough to notice ADHD symptoms - when questioned she doesn't respond well and they've just written her off as obstructive and naughty, I had to remind them that she can't hear well ffs. DD will talk if you can spend the time with her and talk in a way she understands.

DD also gets very rigid ideas in her head that you can't override. For instance if she'd been told by DH to go downstairs but I said 'can you do me a favour, tell daddy that mummy needs x', she wouldn't understand that for the time of that request she can go back upstairs. She would either get upset at the conflicting instruction, go upstairs but then not relay the information and get upset if DH tells her off for disobeying or she would just say 'mum says I can come up' and then not acknowledge any request from DH to go downstairs ever again. And there's little likelihood of me getting x either!

Because of ongoing wetting issues solely at school, where the rigid ideas are causing problems, I've requested a meeting with her teachers and head to try to get the ball rolling but I'm unsure if that was the right thing to do.

Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

AliceInUnderpants Sun 15-May-16 19:32:05

Mine were both referred via GP

Frusso Mon 16-May-16 12:39:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StrictlyMumDancing Mon 16-May-16 14:18:30

Thank you both so much for responding.

School have also suggested GP route, so I'm going to book something up with them.

Yes, constant glue ear so awaiting grommets/adenoidectomy/removal of anything else that looks weird whilst they're in there. Its not a new thing at all, but its taken us a very long time to even get to this point where DD was assessed so we're a little behind the gun on that. And ENT is massively overstretched in our area so waiting lists are very long. Hearing consultant is the only professional who has picked up on her behaviour and suggested her hearing issues could be causing it but offered no further insight or help so I've held back until now. I'd love her hearing issues to resolve it all but I suspect they won't and I now really feel I need to have it at least logged with both school and the GP that I suspect this and want the ball rolling if the operation doesn't magically solve it.

With regards to school we have no support from anyone. They barely acknowledge she even has a hearing issue. I did wonder if they suspected I was over egging it but DD massively failed the in school hearing test and they still barely acknowledge it. I have to point out a lot to them that she cannot hear/she can look like she's listening but isn't taking things in/etc. Their attitude was 'well she doesn't have the classic hyperactive signs and isn't disruptive so we aren't worried', which largely is how they view her hearing too. Very frustrating.

Frusso Mon 16-May-16 14:37:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now