Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How do I arrange a 1-1 for DS at nursery?

(10 Posts)
Laurajay84 Sun 08-May-16 09:23:53

DS is starting at nursery in September. He has just been diagnosed with ASD and the HV mentioned in passing about applying for funding for a 1-1 for him. I was just wondering how to go about this? Is this something I can do myself or will the nursery have to apply? I only ask because the nursery, although outstanding, is not fantastic with organisation and paperwork.

LIZS Sun 08-May-16 09:25:31

Does he have an echp? If not either you or nursery can apply for one.

Laurajay84 Sun 08-May-16 10:15:36

No, he doesn't. Although we were shortly about to apply for one for school for him. Do I need to do two seperate EHCPs - one for nursery and one for school?

PolterGoose Sun 08-May-16 10:23:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Sun 08-May-16 10:54:41

talk to nursery, they will have done it before. Talk to LA they will help. He doesn't need ehcp to get quite considerable support in school, so depending on the level of support he needs you may or may not need ehcp anyway.

hazeyjane Sun 08-May-16 11:01:35

You need to talk to the senco at the nursery.

They will apply for the funding, and will need to sort it asap to have support in place for Sept.

It is important and really helpful if you can work closely with them, wrt to support and help with ehcp.

hazeyjane Sun 08-May-16 11:10:50

He only needs one ehcp - this will be for school - is he starting next September (2017?)

Ehcp process can take an awful long time. An ehcp can be requested by senco of nursery or you can put in a request yourself. There is lots of helpful information on the Ipsea website.

Laurajay84 Sun 08-May-16 11:22:59

Thank you all for your replies - although I think I am even more confused now grin

So, the best thing to do would be to let the nursery apply for funding (but not EHCP) for September. Then we can apply for an EHCP ourselves for starting school in September 2017?

hazeyjane Sun 08-May-16 11:55:41

Personally I found it better for the senco at preschool to sort ds's ehcp - but she is very efficient and we had had a disastrous start to the whole process thanks to a useless early years sen keyworker.

I am a 1-1 at preschool and I know that the senco sorts out all the funding for 1-1 support - I don't know if you can apply for it yourself.

What does the Senco or manager at the nursery say about it all?

whatamess0815 Sun 08-May-16 11:57:00

you can apply for an EHCP now. it is not only for school. some children have it at get an EHCP is a long process (think 26 or 20 weeks) but in reality it often takes much longer esp if you have to appeal.I had a largly non-verbal 3.5year old with ASD and it took us almost 1.5 years to get a statement (statement have now been replaced by EHCPs) that was worth the paper it was written on.

guess, what I am trying to say - apply now for an EHCP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now