Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

first time use of medikinet xl for ADHD

(8 Posts)
BuddhaBelly Thu 05-May-16 21:58:00

After a very long process our ds was finally diagnosed yesterday with ADHD with autistic traits. We have been prescribed medikinet xl 10mg which after a lot of discussion and consideration we are starting tomorrow. Anyone out there who can give us an idea of what to expect?

InFlagranteDelicto Thu 05-May-16 22:14:03

My son had Concerta, which is the same active drug. It had a positive effect, but he did not eat for the 3 weeks he took it. Not at all, which was not good for a child with restricted intake.

He now takes atomoxetine, which works for him.

Some children I see through work do not have the same degree of effects and it works for them. Give it a go, it might work for your bit.

TwoLeftSocks Thu 05-May-16 22:24:58

Ours is on Equasym XL, which is very similar. His appetite dropped off too but mainly around lunchtime, he eats like a horse at dinnertime and has kept his weight on track.

The biggest immediate thing we found was that we only had to ask him to do things, like put his shoes on, once. Not twenty times each day. At the same time though he's been more aware of other people's behaviour towards him (including our frustration) something that we can at least have decent chats about.

Hope it goes well.

Msqueen33 Fri 06-May-16 06:18:53

We are on the same meds. My dd has responded super well to them. She did switch to concerta but couldn't swallow the tablets. It's made a huge difference in school as she's less on edge and can concentrate. Her 1:1 says you can see a huge difference. We've not seen any side effects and the little monkey gets to take them with a spoonful of chocolate mousse so a win for her. She's on 15 mg. 10 in the morning 5 in the afternoon.

BuddhaBelly Fri 06-May-16 18:22:26

Thanks for the replies, we have decided to start tomorrow and it does seem as if it's hit and miss getting the right one to start with. Fingers crossed we will be lucky with this one smile

BuddhaBelly Fri 06-May-16 18:28:13

Twoleftsocks I am loving the idea of only asking once to do something, that would be amazing! shock

Indantherene Fri 06-May-16 18:41:20

Mine started off on 10mg of medikinet xl and is now up to 15mg. We and school can always tell when we've forgotten to give it to her.

She also doesn't eat while the drug is active. Be prepared for non eating of school dinner/packed lunch then a change into a locust after school (not literally) when he will eat everything and anything he can find.

user1477294260 Mon 24-Oct-16 08:37:35

My daughter age 6 has been diaganosed with ADHD and I've have her medicine medikinet 5mg for over a week . I'm so scared to give it too her ! Is there anyone else been or in the same situation as me 😥 At a birthday party yesterday the other children bullied her and ran away calling her stupid!!! She was miss popular in reception and year 1 and now the children are so horrible . I know I have to give her the medicine for social and educational reasons but I'm so worried for her . Thank you for reading this x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now