Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Talk to me about weighted blankets please?

(3 Posts)
minipie Thu 05-May-16 15:03:00

DD is 3.5. She has very mild CP which affects her physically to a fairly small extent. So far she has no other diagnosed SN.

However she has always been quite sensory "insensitive" - not sure if this is the right word - she doesn't notice bumps, loves rough play, likes to touch and fiddle especially with people. Always wants 2 blankets on her in bed even now when it's warm.

She has always been a terrible sleeper - she is very "wired" and struggles to wind down even when she is knackered. She wakes early and can't get back to sleep even if she is tired, as a result she doesn't sleep enough hours in total, and gets more and more "wired" and less able to sleep. Obviously her behaviour gets worse the more tired she gets.

I have recently read about weighted blankets and wonder if it might help her sleep better. Has anyone got one or tried one?

Are they suitable for a 3.5 year old? Do they get very hot (DD's room gets very hot in summer as it's under the roof)? Silly question but can you put a duvet cover on them?

I saw a website which rents them for 2 weeks so you can see if it helps, but they only had adult ones I think. Has anyone seen a site which rents child ones?

Thank you

PolterGoose Thu 05-May-16 15:20:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

minipie Thu 05-May-16 16:27:46

Oh not overnight. OK that would make it pointless I think as DD's main issue is waking up far too early in the morning, or waking in the night and being unable to get back to sleep. Thanks.

I wonder how are they supposed to help with sleep if they can't be used overnight? is it just for kids who struggle to fall asleep at bedtime?

She doesn't have an OT, paed thinks she doesn't really need one right now, but we are seeing the NHS physio for the first time next week (she was only diagnosed with CP at Christmas) and the paed has asked the physio to reconsider whether she needs an OT... anyway if she ends up with an OT I will ask!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now