Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Help!!

(20 Posts)
Louiseclairehall1986 Wed 04-May-16 19:51:39

Can anyone make sence of these baseline assements my son has had? I don't understand them and where they are saying he is??

Toffeelatteplease Wed 04-May-16 19:56:19

I'm assuming that he is first year primary (reception) and the m is months, so the age equivalent of 40-60 months....

If correct it would suggest he has made a lot of progress this year

Melawati Wed 04-May-16 19:59:19

I think you should ask for this post to be deleted. Your DS's full name, dob and the name of his school are clearly visible.
But well done to your DS on his excellent progress!

Louiseclairehall1986 Wed 04-May-16 20:01:37

He is, they have said he's made progress but I need to find out what age he is at is it the 40 months or is it the 60 months? Is it the September months added to the progress months on the second page? I do know he is behind but it m at tribunal next week and would like to be able to answer the questions they are bound to ask but I've no idea what it all means :-(

Toffeelatteplease Wed 04-May-16 20:08:35

Hmmmm.... then I would be very sceptical.

I'm tired so my sums are wonky but I would imagine that this report puts him within or within shooting distance of normal range.

I would be going to the school and asking them for detailed information on the standards that you DS is meant to have met to be allocated those age ranges. The first page looks like the same as when DS was in early years but sadly I can't seem to find a copy of the criteria online. It would put him behind on litracy and numeracy but not necessarily on the rest.

Are you going in with any of your own reports?

Toffeelatteplease Wed 04-May-16 20:11:19

If you need to argue you case I would be looking at the first page and a copy of the criteria. You may also need to pull school books to show where what is recorded doesn't match what has actually been attained. Independent Ed physc did this for DS prior to tribunal.

Louiseclairehall1986 Wed 04-May-16 20:12:33

It does seem a big jump, baring in mind he did go into reception from a nursery which he was at frleast m 9 months of age? When I spoke to them at his last review they did say he was at 40 months but now this has just completely baffled me, it's like the school are separate to prove there's nothing wrong with him even though he has Asd, his teaching assistant discribed my DS as "he will play with other children so long as he's in charge of the game, tells the others what to do" I replied that was his Asd and got back "I just think he's a leader" so confused and I'm just going to look stupid 😭

Louiseclairehall1986 Wed 04-May-16 20:14:22

Edited pics

Louiseclairehall1986 Wed 04-May-16 20:15:27

And what does the (em) & (Dc) mean??

Toffeelatteplease Wed 04-May-16 20:21:50

Not sure tbh. Which is why you need to be asking them:
1) what are your criteria you are measuring against
2) how do you decide whether they have attained that level
3) do you keep evidence files, please can I see them

If you disagree you need to be able to say why eg before ed psych put it in writing I had evidenced that the school had recorded that DS had "made great and learnt to ride a trike" twice, 8 months apart?

Yep it does sound like they are trying to prove nothing is wrong

Louiseclairehall1986 Wed 04-May-16 20:30:41

I could actually cry I'm don't know how to deal
With this :-(

Toffeelatteplease Wed 04-May-16 20:35:48

Take it one step at a time.

How do you feel your son's progress has been over the last year

Louiseclairehall1986 Wed 04-May-16 20:37:14

I don't know now, at his review last month they said he was around 40 months, now looks no at this its 60 months which means he's not behind at all? And I dlove my get why he was so behind when he went there as he was in full time education from nine months

Toffeelatteplease Wed 04-May-16 20:38:36

And please don't cry. I don't know what your situation is but I know you can get through it. I have Winston Churchill on my Facebook it say something like if your going through hell keep going. Point is if your not where you want to be just going cos you don't want to stay where you are.

One step at a time

Toffeelatteplease Wed 04-May-16 20:41:25

Stop thinking about what other people feel and listen to how you feel. DS old school told me a load of nonsense and it is hard being a mum and maybe I need more realistic expectations. it took me two years and an educational tribunal to rip them to shreds.

It doesn't matter what us on your report or not on that report. What do you think?

Louiseclairehall1986 Wed 04-May-16 20:57:29

I think he is coping, as he is intelligent, but I've always thought he was at least 12-18 months behind, always has been since he was ting and it's tad odd that all of a sudden he's not?? The school are foe we making me feel mad, and on top of that won't even get his assessed for a ech even when is asked

Louiseclairehall1986 Wed 04-May-16 21:00:13

Also we are only two days into may so how have they managed to do a assements in that time??

PolterGoose Wed 04-May-16 21:07:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Toffeelatteplease Wed 04-May-16 21:15:23

How have you ended up at tribunal?

Ineedmorepatience Thu 05-May-16 10:04:21

Many school staff dont have a good understanding of autistic children in my experience and school levels get fudged all the time.

If you really want to know where your child is academically then you will probably have to pay for an independent Educational psychlologist assessment!

Personally I think they are good investement as they show up ares of strength and weakness.

Dont let the school grind you down, many, many schools decide that children dont need additional support, money is usually involved somewhere along the line!

Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now