Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Transport to nursery for a 3 year old with speech disorder. Would you? Have you?

(27 Posts)
HHH3 Tue 03-May-16 10:19:10

DS2 is 3.4, has a speech disorder and will be having genetic testing soon as there is other stuff going on too. His SALT has put him forward for a nursery with specialist S&L provision. The panel meets at the end of May so should find out shortly after if he's got a place or not.

If he does get a place he may be offered transport (it's a 20-30min drive away). My initial reaction was that he wouldn't be going on transport and that I'd take him myself. However, after speaking to a friend I'm conflicted. She thinks he'll be fine and that I just don't want to let go (partly because of stuff in my own childhood).

My reasons for saying I don't want him to go on transport are a) that he's so young, b) his speech is basically unintelligible so he won't be able to tell anyone if there's a problem and c) I'll feel like I don't have a relationship with the nursery.

Of course, he might not get a place and then this is all moot. But I want to make a decision now so I'm not rushed into making a decision if he does get a place.


AugustaFinkNottle Tue 03-May-16 15:27:00

I suspect a lot of people would feel as you do about transport for a 3 year old, even without the difficulties your child has. However, if you need transport, e.g. if you need to take another child to school, bear in mind that they would probably provide an escort and that you could provide them with detailed notes about his likes, dislikes, how he communicates etc.

Before you take any decisions, find out if they will pay mileage if you offer to provide transport.

HHH3 Tue 03-May-16 16:00:46

Thanks. I don't have another child to take to school as DS1 is at secondary and catches the train. So if I want to I can take DS2. It will, however, mean that I'll take him, hang around for 3 hours in my car, then take him home again as I won't be able to afford the petrol to come back in between. But it's only for a year.

Good idea about finding out about mileage though - I'll look into that.

blaeberry Tue 03-May-16 18:06:09

You should be able to get a parent contract which means your mileage is paid for a return trip each day. Maybe start with that then switch over to their transport if you want/need/feel happier to?

blaeberry Tue 03-May-16 18:07:33

Oops, didn't read the last sentence of the last two posts. blush

HHH3 Tue 03-May-16 18:34:07

Thankssmile I'm definitely going to look into it. Had assumed whatever option I decided on would be what I had to stick to. Is it possible to change at some point if I want to then?

zzzzz Tue 03-May-16 19:01:09

I have a similar child (in that he has severe language disorder he's 11'now) and I wouldn't. For me too little and too little input from me at school.

HHH3 Tue 03-May-16 19:20:22

Thanks zzzzz That's still how it's feeling to me although I want to explore all the options before I make a decision.

HHH3 Fri 06-May-16 12:10:51

I've spoken to the nursery today and there's no transport available as it's non statutory education. So don't need to worry after all.

AugustaFinkNottle Fri 06-May-16 12:15:37

Does your child have an EHC Plan? If he does, and if it names the nursery, then they have to provide the means for him to get there. If he hasn't got an EHCP, I suggest you ask for one now.

HHH3 Fri 06-May-16 12:30:19

Just in the process of doing the application (it's proving more difficult than I thought). Should hopefully be sending it off next week. But obviously, even if he gets it, it won't be before September.

zzzzz Fri 06-May-16 12:35:33

It will take 25 weeks from when they receive your application so 28th Oct if you send it today.

HHH3 Fri 06-May-16 12:57:07

That's actually not as long as I thought. But having said that, I assume that's if it all goes smoothly. From what I've read on here, it's entirely likely that it'll take longer with my LA.

zzzzz Fri 06-May-16 13:05:47

That's the legal maximum. not that seems to mean much in some LAs from what I've read on here

Ours came in on time.

HHH3 Fri 06-May-16 13:35:27

Hopefully they keep to it!

I should be able to get the application sent off at the end of next week. So we'd be looking at the beginning of November. That's if they agree to assess.

AugustaFinkNottle Fri 06-May-16 13:39:30

Legal maximum is 20 weeks, but you may well have to bully them when/if they go beyond the deadlines. You should get the initial decision whether they're going to proceed with the assessment within 6 weeks - make sure you chase them if you don't hear.

HHH3 Fri 06-May-16 13:55:12

I'll be on their backs every step of the way. But I know there are no guarantees. They may refuse to assess. Or assess and then refuse to issue. I've got some time though. I just want it in place before he starts the reception and that isn't til sept 17.

Is the 20 weeks just 20 weeks? Or is it term time weeks?

zzzzz Fri 06-May-16 16:07:54

holidays count sorry about the numbers off I thought 25 but am getting old and January seems eons ago. I know that the 6 weeks deciding to assess was within the time limit so it's starts from when you first ask.

20 weeks puts you at 23rd Sept, so you could almost start for the new academic term.

HHH3 Fri 06-May-16 16:28:22

Thanks zzzzz Hopefully we'll get it sorted and sent off next week. I'm struggling to get it filled in right but the support worker will help me with that. A friend had also leant me a copy of her DD's EHCP which has really helped.

TragicallyUnbeyachted Fri 06-May-16 23:39:35

I did (DD is deaf and has a significant speech delay). It helped that it took a while to sort out local authority transport so I was having to transport her for the first four weeks and it was stupidly impractical, so by the time the LA approved the transport I had overcome many of my reservations. Her escort is really lovely and DD gives her big hugs and (now we are a year and a half further on and her speech has improved) calls her "Grandma" (not initiated by the escort, I should point out -- DD just decided to start calling her that about three months ago).

They weren't obliged to offer the taxi as it was nursery rather than statutory education, but the LA knew they'd be having to do it the next academic year as with DD's (then) statement (now EHCP) she'd be going to Reception at the same school, and it was adding an extra place into an established taxi (which takes another couple of children too) rather than paying for a whole new one so they did fund it.

HHH3 Sat 07-May-16 07:26:37

I love how your DD has such a lovely relationship with her escortsmile

It's certainly something to consider when doing his EHCP so I will keep it in mind. This is only a nursery so if he needs a specialist placement for reception then it wouldn't be there (probably a school in the next town to here which has a S&L base and is significantly closer).

I've just found out that they only have 10 spaces and take from all over the county (they're the only one in the whole county) so if he gets a place it's unlikely there'll be anyone else local (and they probably won't have transport either). But tbh now I know how few places there are I think it's unlikely he'll get one anyway.

TragicallyUnbeyachted Fri 13-May-16 13:02:34

Although I've just had a voice message from the local authority saying they are switching taxi company from Monday so there will be a new escort and driver... this is not going to go down at all well with DD (I'm not even sure she's going to understand as talking about the future is still a bit of a language gap). It's the flip side of the coin, I think -- you want drivers and escorts to develop a good relationship with your DC but the contractual side of things is completely outside your control and you can be kept in the dark.

Frusso Fri 13-May-16 14:27:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Fri 13-May-16 14:50:29

You don't have to worry about how many places there are at the unit, all you need to concern yourself with is that he qualifies for the unit. In practice this means applying for EHCP and putting that in as your named school. There are tons of people with experience of how to do this. It's a form filling exercise and you need to gather all your reports and paperwork. People are routinely refused assessment so if you are knocked back on the first request then just lob in another. (to give you an idea my ds is a clear candidate for SS and yet we had to apply twice, the second time NOTHING had changed grin because otherwise you'd angry) I personally think it's just to keep their waiting lists under control but hey ho. Start NOW by requesting assessment from your LA SEN team.

HHH3 Fri 13-May-16 16:24:23

Oh no tragically. I hope DD doesn't take it too badly.

zzzzz I've completed his EHCP application this week. Just need to print it off and copy all the reports this weekend and then will post it on Monday. I'm fully expecting them to refuse to assess given what I've heard about our LAhmm Did you literally send exactly the same thing in again?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now