Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Always trying to do two things at the same time....argh!

(13 Posts)
Laurajay84 Tue 03-May-16 08:20:32

DS, almost 3, has developed the habit within the last week of having to do two things at once all of the time. If he's reading a book then he will have to be picking up small toys whilst he's reading, sometimes he will be flicking through two books at once. It's as if just doing one thing at a time isn't interesting enough for him any more. Not sure whether this is something that will quickly pass or whether I should be trying to nip it in the bud. I find him quite difficult when trying to do an activity with him as he always has his eye on doing something else at the same time. Not sure what to do?

zzzzz Tue 03-May-16 08:24:57

I don't think it's something I would worry about at all. Why do you see monotasking as ideal?confused

Laurajay84 Tue 03-May-16 09:19:52

ZZZZ I don't find it ideal - multi-tasking is a great thing to be able to do in the right context. The way he is doing it though is, for instance, putting in a jigsaw piece, turning a page, putting in another piece, turning a page. Also, turning a page, finding a small toy, turning a page, finding a small toy, etc. He's just not concentrating on anything properly for the sake of doing two things at once.

zzzzz Tue 03-May-16 09:30:57

But why is it necessary for him to do it the way you see as "properly"?

It sounds like the kind of coping mechanism someone with higher IQ might use, or maybe it's just fun?

Is it that you think other people will find this a negative thing or that you feel he can't be getting as much out of the individual tasks if he does them at the same time?

Laurajay84 Tue 03-May-16 09:35:33

ZZZZZ The 'caring what other people think' boat sailed a long time ago. Any question I ask is to help and encourage my son to lead the most happy and productive life he can. This is just a behaviour that has popped up recently and I was concerned that it doesn't allow him to focus on either task he is doing properly.

zzzzz Tue 03-May-16 09:42:47

Any question I ask is to help and encourage my son to lead the most happy and productive life he can
I assumed that! I wasn't trying to be rude shock

So the concern really is that he can't do both things as well if he tries to do them at the same time?

Which bit of the task is he finding harder? (Eg staying on task, completing, thinking it through, independence)

Melawati Tue 03-May-16 09:48:50

I do think at not yet 3, I wouldn't worry too much about this. Unless the behaviour is dangerous to himself or other people, just let it go. Maybe follow his lead when doing an activity together. There's no need to be concentrating on a single task at 2.

Laurajay84 Tue 03-May-16 09:59:58

Thanks, ZZZZ. Well, really the concern is that before he would do one thing at a time and put his full concentration on that activity. Now he seems to not be focusing on anything but just constantly multitasking like he simply cannot just do one thing.

Melawati Thanks, I know he is still very young but it jut seems like a huge step back to me.

zzzzz Tue 03-May-16 10:46:59

Personally I would see it as a step forward and flexibility around changing tasks EVEN in this rigid self directed way is probably positive and good practice for later.

Does it occur ALL the time or only with known activities or conversely new activities?

In my experience "fixing behaviour" when you don't understand the motivation is almost always a mistake.

Laurajay84 Tue 03-May-16 10:58:11

I agree but I'm a bit lost as to what the motivation is. It certainly isn't ALL the time but tends to involve books - either flipping the pages in the book whilst playing with toys or the opposite, picking up a toy on every page whilst reading a book.

I think I'm finding it difficult and it seems like a step back because the past two weeks previously he has had a bit of a development spurt - playing with toys alot more, doing actions to songs, using hand gestures, and the biggest one is that he has gone from being very quiet to 'chatting' away and babbling like he is trying to talk. We have been over the moon with these recent developments grin

zzzzz Tue 03-May-16 12:08:07

shockgrin THAT makes lots of sense! We often discuss how weird it is that Dx gain skills in one area and lag or even regress for a bit in others. I don't think it's regression though in this case. I think he's trying out multitasking in a very clumsy way. Try not to worry. It isn't necessary for him to follow the same developmental path as a nt child. For example mine learnt to read before he could talk shock and to count before names shock. Enjoy the ride, it's a bit crazy!

PolterGoose Tue 03-May-16 12:55:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Melawati Tue 03-May-16 16:08:58

My DD is the same polter. Distraction (if a certain kind) helps her concentrate.
In the context you describe, I still wouldn't worry, OP. It sounds like he's trying out lots of new things/new ways of doing things and experimenting, which must be lots of funsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now