Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Suggestions to help ds undress (take t shirts off)

(9 Posts)
Manyshadesofblack Mon 02-May-16 20:04:51

Hello

My ds is 7.5 and getting much better at dressing and undressing but he is still having difficulty taking t-shirts and jumpers off over his head. Does anyone have any advice on the best way I can teach him?

He has a diagnosis of autism, fine motor difficulty and dyslexia. I am guessing it is the fine motor difficulty that makes the dressing and undressing difficult.

Any advice would be very much appreciated because he is getting to the age where he really needs to be able to do these things.

PolterGoose Mon 02-May-16 20:19:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Melawati Mon 02-May-16 20:31:33

What polter said. Also where ever possible go for looser fit and roomier neckline (if he's not very particular about style/fit) as it gives more wriggle room. V neck jumpers seem to be much easier than round neck.

PolterGoose Mon 02-May-16 20:31:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Manyshadesofblack Mon 02-May-16 20:37:08

that's brilliant advice! Thank you very much polter and melawati. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Will give it a try tonight now as he is about to get undressed for bed. Thanks smile

zzzzz Mon 02-May-16 22:30:29

I was going to say exactly the above! Bigger softer clothes and a slow withdrawal of help at the end of the exercise.

Does he do one arm out, the other arm out, then head, or cross your hands, grab the hem, and up and over? grin

I never praise particularly as ds wants me to help, but I DO fold up other clothes so he might as well finish off, and I do have a "next thing happening" so he is focused forwards. Very occasionally he dresses or undresses completely independently shock It is usually a sign that he is relaxed and happy.

Manyshadesofblack Tue 03-May-16 13:16:37

zzzzz he can get his school polo shirt off doing one arm out, other arm out then head. The polo shirt is big and v neck. But he can't do tighter t shirts and he wears a top at swimming which seems impossible for his to get off.

I would like to teach him the cross your hands and grab the hem method but he doesn't seem capable of doing that.

He successfully did the last part of the cross your hands method last night. So I will keep trying that for a while.

My ds does seem very relaxed at the moment so seems a good time to try get him dressing and undressing him self. Thank you for the advice smile

Melawati Tue 03-May-16 16:10:36

Those swimming tops are very hard, especially when wet. We got one with a zip in the end.

Manyshadesofblack Tue 03-May-16 20:15:25

Melawati is it a little zip at the back (at the top) or a full length zip? I think we have had a few with a small zip at the back. Would that be more helpful for ds? It is only recently he has wanted to try to dress and undress himself so I had not thought about it when buying his new swim wear. He wouldn't go swimming without a top even though most boys his age do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now