Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What to expect from speech therapy.

(3 Posts)
Vonnie2016 Sun 17-Apr-16 21:41:04

Hi there,
Quick summary DS (3), his nursery have this week called me in with concerns and that he could possibly heading towards an ASD diagnosis ( or someting similar).
This wasn't a shock to me as I have known for a while that something was going on with him, but most people said I was being paranoid.
Anyway, his main 'thing' is his speech so I assume this is where we will start.
He doesn't talk at all at nursery he started six months ago and he hasn't uttered a word to them. He did for he first time this week as they changed how they approached him and if they don't look at him he will talk to them.
I am the only person really he will look in the eye but sometimes he doesn't want to, so I don't push him.
Anyway, I digress.
I don't know much about speech therapy and I wonder how it will work if he won't look at the person working with him?
Can I do stuff at home? Other than the usual playing?
He does talk, he has started using sentences but he is very difficult to understand and I think I understand him because I am used to the way he talks.
Is there a way I can converse with him that will help him?
Sorry for rambling I just want to do as much as I can to help him.
Thanks.

coffeemachine Mon 18-Apr-16 16:41:13

Salt usually give you strategies on how to communicate with your child to helpntheir language and communication. Then you are send away, things are reviewed a few weeks/later etc, I.e. you will do the Lion shate of the 'work' under Salt guidance .

if he has difficulties with making certain sounds, Salt may also do some direct work with him.

Cakescakescakes Mon 18-Apr-16 16:45:35

They will give you 'homework'. And it's more about communication rather than the mechanics of speech.

I was you 2 years ago. Ds is now 5 and has ASD diagnosis. He goes to a social communication unit and his progress has been incredible. I wish I could go back in time and tell myself how much better it would be than what I thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now