Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Part-time school due to ill health- feeling pressured

(3 Posts)
Buntingsmum Fri 15-Apr-16 16:58:38

I didn't know where to put this. It's a health thing really. My DD has a rare disease and isn't well enough to attend school full time due to fatigue and headaches and just generally feeling 'meh'. She's been like this for 2 years and I don't see it changing. We are getting pressure to make her increase her hours above the 5 mornings per week she currently does. We've just had a draft EHCP through the post today, and despite me trying to explain that full time school won't work, the sensory/physical leaning outcome in part F is there as 'to attend school regularly and eventually full time'.

If she was an adult she'd have to get signed off work due to ill health! In my mind it should be possible to accept that an ill child can't do school full time too and we shouldn't be getting pressure about this, but I don't know how to get this agreed. I need to work how to get this learning outcome off the EHCP! I would love to hear from others about their experiences with part time school due to ill health (and even this aspect in an EHCP if possible smile). Thanks

AugustaFinkNottle Fri 15-Apr-16 18:04:34

You really need to get a medic to say she can't cope in school full time for health reasons. Is there a hospital or other expert dealing with DD, and would they do a report or letter for you?

If they will, you could turn this back on the LA and demand that they sort out some home tuition for the afternoons. DD might find it easier to cope with tuition in a quiet home environment where she can stop for a rest if necessary, and it can all be adjusted to her pace.

zzzzz Fri 15-Apr-16 18:49:06

grin I've had a similar outcome that basically said ds would be able to do X, Y, and Z when that basically meant he wouldn't have the disability he does! grin

Rephrase it explaining WHY and suggesting a better outcome.

Try not to laugh and/or cry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now