Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What does/did your asd 4-5 yr old like playing with?

(14 Posts)
amunt Fri 08-Apr-16 15:01:49

Ds used to have no interest in anything (apart from doors). His recent interest in computer games has been a huge help, but I'd like to expand if possible. He has a mild interest in Lego and train set, but could take or leave it. It would be good to get some ideas from other's dc's passions at this age.
Thanks

zzzzz Fri 08-Apr-16 16:11:01

Long bit of gutter on the stairs to roll cars/balls down.
Trampoline
Swimming/blow up boats
Sets of toys particularly different colours
Need guns
Balloons
Scooter
Basketball and net with bell
That elefun game
Feel n find game
Hungry hippos
Marble run

Cakescakescakes Fri 08-Apr-16 16:14:11

Trains trains and more trains. And his iPad. He loved the Sago Mini games.

AntiquityReRises Fri 08-Apr-16 17:09:32

Ds2 is right in this age range and he loves copying so anything that copies real life, eg tea parties, wrapping presents (his toys) and opening them, pretending to bake etc.

He loves Swashbuckle so I bought some lovely big jewels & I hide them around and draw what they're in for him to find.

Orchard games

Copying maths games from his ipad.
Playing in water

He's not really interested in independent play.

mary21 Fri 08-Apr-16 17:35:24

Marble run
Wooden train set.
Toy pushchair.
Flash cards
Slide

sh77 Fri 08-Apr-16 18:24:55

Lego
Train set (which has grown exponentially in size due to his love of it)
Playmags - can play for hours building stuff and integrating his other toys with it eg transport, animals.
Building castles from bed sheets and cushions.
Basically, open-ended construction
Cycling
Making "garden soup" - mixing water with mud, leaves, twigs

PolterGoose Fri 08-Apr-16 18:33:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AntiquityReRises Fri 08-Apr-16 18:45:20

What specifically interests him about computer games & can that be used in other play?

amunt Fri 08-Apr-16 22:20:44

Wow, loads of ideas! Thanks all.
The things he likes on computer games are sim type things. He loves Second Life because he can walk around and go into buildings, up stairs, open doors etc... which he likes doing in real life as well. I think his imagination is limited, so not that into construction or play sets (unless they have a lift). There are some things above which I'll definitely give a go, like the castle out of cushions and gutter for cars down the stairs.
Thanks again.

sh77 Fri 08-Apr-16 23:41:20

I think it would be great if he could try magna-tiled or playmags somewhere. It isn't a toy that needs imagination - you make things as you go along. Definitely one of the best things we bought ds. You can put little led lights in to light up sections.
Paper planes and colouring them in also very popular.
Lots of amply boxes, paint, glue, pasta, foil for making stuff.

sh77 Fri 08-Apr-16 23:43:24

Also with magna-tiles, he can make hus own buildings with doors, different levels etc. Sorry to keep raving on about it but it's been very therapeutic for ds.

amunt Sat 09-Apr-16 09:39:08

Thanks sh77. Just searched playmags and looks great - it's something that has not been on my radar. Just about to order a set.

zzzzz Sat 09-Apr-16 12:16:13

whats the difference between playmags and magna-tiles?

sh77 Sat 09-Apr-16 16:58:13

Playmags are cheaper - same product though. Not sure if there is a difference in magnet strength but ds has had no problems. I think they are excellent quality.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now