Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Employable Me

(6 Posts)
OneInEight Thu 07-Apr-16 09:04:04

Never mind the "A word" has anyone else been watching "Employable Me" on BBC2 featuring young adults with Tourettes and Asperger's trying to find employment. It's something that really worries ds1 as he has read the dismal statistics about the employment prospects of people with HFA and I think he found the advice helpful about considering the personality strengths of having HFA (he did the shape puzzle in about 2 seconds flat in last nights episode!!!) rather than dwelling on the disadvantages. He has been asking lately as to whether it would be necessary to tell employers about his diagnosis although at thirteen he is still quite a few years off trying to find work. There is a lot of swearing but might be useful watching for those with teenage children as I think it is quite positive even though they didn't all get jobs by the end of the programme.

Ineedmorepatience Thu 07-Apr-16 09:40:06

I have watched it and enjoyed it, I like the way the people have been encouraged to look at what they are good at and look for work that takes advantage of their skills.

I thought the lady last night was on course to be working reguarly especially with her dog walking venture. And considering the barriers she was up against I thought she was brilliant for being so determined.

Its also giving potential employers in the audience a glimpse into the skills that neurodiverse people have, did you see the computer guy last week One?

mumsuzz Thu 07-Apr-16 12:53:43

I thought it was really watchable too.

Amazing resilience from both of the young people and great to see certain employers recognising that neurodiversity is a good thing. I was so pleased that things looked more positive at the end for both of them.

OneInEight Thu 07-Apr-16 14:49:22

Missed the one with the computer guy. I hope it gets watched by mainstream employers as it did show that in the right role these adults will be an asset not a hindrance.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 07-Apr-16 17:41:14

Have watched this from the start and all 3 episodes are still on BBC I player.

I thought it was an excellent programme, only wish it got shown on BBC1 instead. I hope a second such series is commissioned.

Waitingforsleep Thu 07-Apr-16 19:32:04

Oo will look thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now