Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Perseveration..... What to do about DS talking at everyone about his favourite topic?

(9 Posts)
tartanterror Sat 02-Apr-16 19:54:45

That's it really. I've no idea how to tackle this. He persists even if asked to stop! I've tried the direct approach but it seems to be undoing progress in other areas - he's getting more resistant/angry again. Any tips that have worked for you? Thanks

PolterGoose Sat 02-Apr-16 20:34:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Toffeelatteplease Sat 02-Apr-16 20:46:17

Balance and teaching.

I would expect DS' attention to things that don't naturally interest him and for him to be involved in a social environment even when he isn't keen. In return I show some interest and expect others to show some interest as well.

You kind of scaffold the conversation. "DS that is fantastic talking. Now Grandma and me are going to talk about...../ we're going to have a little peace and quiet now"

tartanterror Mon 04-Apr-16 22:04:19

Thanks - it seemed to reach a peak last week while the GPs were here and has settled back to normal levels..... polter it does seem that anxiety might be a factor here too

zzzzz Mon 04-Apr-16 22:16:55

Would it be awful to say I just think of other things blushgrin

PolterGoose Tue 05-Apr-16 07:17:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Tue 05-Apr-16 08:17:05

mine just think I'm a bit dim grin

tartanterror Wed 06-Apr-16 07:02:21

LOL zzzzz

Sirzy Wed 06-Apr-16 07:05:31

I really struggle with this, there are only so many times I can listen to the same routes over again, or discuss the merits of using various routes to get to a destination. If I ask him to stop or try to change the subject I get "but I was just telling you" often followed by tears!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now