Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Swearing....

(4 Posts)
lamandler Wed 23-Mar-16 17:17:34

This is a bit of a random one, but it's turning into the latest obsession here! DS is 8, ASD, and at mainstream school. He has a couple of friends, is generally ignored by most of the rest of the class (but better than being picked on I guess). This term there seems to have been a lot of swear-swapping, what's the worst swear word you know, etc.

He is getting really obsessed with this - what is and isn't a swear word, the different levels of swearing (from Oh God and upwards). He desperately wants to be like the others and swear with ease (I am not saying I condone that!) but is petrified of the consequences, so he thinks about it nearly all the time. And the discussions at home are lengthy and regular.

I know it is probably a phase that will pass, but do I just ignore it? He was in trouble at school today about something on the computer, I need the full story from teacher, but it's such a bloody distraction from everything else, both for him and for teachers who will hone in on it instead of helping.

zzzzz Wed 23-Mar-16 18:08:39

If embrace it and study it. Create a system for categorising and research origins and rare examples, test how it impacts in different settings and with different demographics....grin. Far more interesting than many of our "enthusiasms".

Youarentkiddingme Thu 24-Mar-16 19:24:21

Ds went through this! He hates sweating and was aware he didn't know what the words were so would ask me if X was a swear word or not. We chatted about why people use them etc.

I knew he at least wouldn't use the words so didn't mind - but it is something most hilarious strange when your 10 yo asks if cunt is a swear word hmm grin

shazzarooney99 Fri 25-Mar-16 21:25:13

Oh god is that it? my child has a proper potty mouth!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now