Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DS2 (suspected autism) has his first playdate tomorrow!

(7 Posts)
confusedofengland Tue 22-Mar-16 07:31:31

Posted this on the 'Chat' board yesterday, but thought I'd repost here in case any of you lovely lot has any tips grin

Ds1 is going to a friend's house after school & DS3 will be in nursery till 4.30, so I am taking the opportunity to invite a friend round for DS2 for an hour or so. It will be the first time he's had a friend here without the parents also present.

They are in Reception, DS is nearly 5 & probably has autism but no diagnosis. School are aware of this playdate & think it's a good idea so he can start to connect with other DC on a 1:1 basis. They have known each other since last September (& I know the mum a bit) although DS doesn't really play with other children (but is happy to be around them). The other family only live across the road so easy to drop other child home afterwards/if things go wrong.

What should I do with them? We have probably an hour & a quarter, so I was thinking get in, snack & drink, then maybe Play Doh (with me pottering in the room), then a game e.g. pop up pirate, Ker Plunk. Then have Duplo out if time to spare.

I'm so nervous about this it's silly grin

confusedofengland Tue 22-Mar-16 09:00:32

Oh dear, he went to school in tears for the first time in a couple of weeks sad He's been a bit less happy over the last few days, so I think it's just one of his 'dips', but what bad timing. Glad there's only 3 days left of term.

amunt Tue 22-Mar-16 10:18:57

I always find some messy baking works well - fun, with turn taking and opportunities for communication.

confusedofengland Tue 22-Mar-16 11:06:05

That's a good idea, thanks Amunt. Could maybe try cornflake cakes or similar.

I'm also thinking that Play Doh might work along similar lines - they'll have to ask each other for the rolling pins & cutters etc.

It's silly how what was such a small thing for DS1 is the hugest deal ever for DS2!

confusedofengland Tue 22-Mar-16 19:57:16

Update: it went pretty well! Both boys enjoyed themselves & want to do it again grin There was little in the way of cooperative playing (probably 10% max) & I had to join in and/or referee most things, but I felt it was a really good start to building some kind of friendships for DS2.

They had a snack, then played Play Doh, where I was encouraging them to ask each other for help/things, then played Duplo (chosen by the guest) where DS2 tried to add a few bricks to the guest's construction, although it wasn't quite right, but I was pleased that he wanted to play together. Then they played Hungry Hippos which went really well & then racing cars down the garage we have, which has 2 slides. It seemed like the later on in the playdate it got, the more they played together, so I might even have a bit of a longer playdate next time.

All exhausted now, though grin

Wantagoodname Tue 22-Mar-16 20:50:11

Glad it went well confused
Dd had her first play date round recently but she's in year 2, went better than I expected

confusedofengland Tue 22-Mar-16 22:42:12

want that's brillliantsmile These things are tough to do, but rewarding when they go well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now