Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

TV programmes or books about ASD

(11 Posts)
Mamaka Mon 21-Mar-16 17:19:26

Just to ask if there are any TV programmes/movies/books for kids about kids with ASD or Aspergers. My dd is only 4 (next week) and learns really well from TV and books.

shazzarooney99 Mon 21-Mar-16 22:15:23

There is a documentary on now. bbc 4

ouryve Mon 21-Mar-16 22:19:01

Probably not very 4 year old friendly!

There's a nice Newsround special online, which may be accessible. The problem with a lot of stuff aimed at younger kids is that it only really shows a small part of the spectrum and then is limited with that, too.

TwoLeftSocks Mon 21-Mar-16 22:22:56

Sesame Street have recently introduced a new (puppet) character with autism, possibly called Abbie if memory serves correct.

TwoLeftSocks Mon 21-Mar-16 22:25:19

We've just got the All Cats Have Aspergers book too, after quite liking the All Dogs Have ADHD one (suits our DH).

TwoLeftSocks Mon 21-Mar-16 22:28:12

There might be things on YouTube too, we've found a few good clips by kids on ADHD and in the past, I should think there would be ASD ones too.

Missisdoyle Tue 22-Mar-16 10:10:36

Hi, there is a good DVD called' The Transporters', that helps kids identify emotions & helps with social skills, both my DS s, 3 & 5 ( 5yr old has ASD) love it. It's a bit pricey, though, about £30, or so, but part of that goes to Autism research. Our SALt has also recommended 'Video modelling', which if you google it, I think there are some US dvds available. Hope that helps.

Mamaka Tue 22-Mar-16 10:56:50

I had a look at the transporters pack, looks great although £40 so think that will be going on her birthday list for grandparents!
Thanks for all suggestions please keep them coming x

JsOtherHalf Thu 24-Mar-16 16:36:04

The Cerebra charity have a free postal library for toys, and information books :

w3.cerebra.org.uk/help-and-information/library/

DaphneWhitethigh Thu 24-Mar-16 16:39:35

A Is For Autism is worth a look.

DaphneWhitethigh Thu 24-Mar-16 16:40:33

Here's the Newsround thing.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ejpWWP1HNGQ

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now