Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Videos about Aspergers for children?

(17 Posts)
rootsradicals Sun 13-Mar-16 19:30:00

Hello.
Our son has very recently had confirmation of Aspergers diagnosis. We've spoken to him about it and I'm about to order Freaks, Geeks and Aspergers, as it was recommended by the Educational Psychologist, but I think he'd take in information about it far better if he could watch it. It is his preferred medium and he will watch youtube for hours if left to his own devices!
Does anyone have any ideas about videos he could watch that just explain a little more about Aspergers? He is 8.
Thanks.

wonderpants Sun 13-Mar-16 19:31:58

Place marking as we expect to be having similar conversations soon too!

outputgap Sun 13-Mar-16 19:33:24

There's one on the cbbc news round website I believe.

rootsradicals Sun 13-Mar-16 19:41:10

Thank you outputgap. Just off to do bath and bed but I'll have a search later!
Hi wonderpants, if I find anything else I'll post back. Video is the guaranteed way to hold his attention so it'd be perfect if I can find something. He does love to read but not so keen to read 'information' sort of stuff!

Ineedmorepatience Sun 13-Mar-16 20:47:27

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejpWWP1HNGQ

PolterGoose Sun 13-Mar-16 20:55:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rootsradicals Sun 13-Mar-16 21:52:09

They're both great thank you very much!
Given that it seems so many people on the autistic spectrum enjoy computers and technology so much I'm really surprised I can't find more out there though.

PolterGoose Sun 13-Mar-16 21:55:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rootsradicals Sun 13-Mar-16 22:18:27

Ah, weirdly I've just watched a youtube video of 'Autistic Genius' and thought my son would probably love him! He was reading this book www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1300051337?keywords=dude%20im%20an%20aspie&qid=1457907291&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
Dude, I'm an aspie which I've just ordered. Looks like a good starting point, not too much information and I think it will appeal to my boy's sense of humour!

rootsradicals Sun 13-Mar-16 22:19:59

I should say- my son is obsessed with watching 'Let's plays' and Autistic Genius reminded me of some of those!

zzzzz Mon 14-Mar-16 07:45:44

I too think it is weird how little is available. Given the children involved I would think it was the easiest and most cost effective way of informing and they could add info for life skills and parenting rather than the dreaded parenting courses

rootsradicals Mon 14-Mar-16 09:53:43

Absolutely zzzzz! There's a definite gap- if I had any skills in that area I'd be right on it!

zzzzz Mon 14-Mar-16 09:57:28

Perhaps we need to gain the skills. If only we
Could produce what REALLY helps. MNSN Productions presents "how to wipe your bum", "what sensory problems your child could be struggling with", "what good classroom practice really looks like", "how to apply for DLA and why you should"....grin

Earlyday Mon 14-Mar-16 21:01:55

I like this too - but maybe it would be better for when he's a bit older? My sons psychologist recommended I watch it after DS was diagnosed and it cheered me up a bit. It's also from Tex Talks

m.youtube.com/watch?v=B-xgdqNtcDI&sns=em

Levantine Mon 14-Mar-16 21:12:22

Zzzz you are so right. Those would be my top picks too, along with how to feed a hungry child who won't eat anything

Earlyday Mon 14-Mar-16 21:48:05

I also like this video

m.youtube.com/watch?v=d4G0HTIUBlI

rootsradicals Tue 15-Mar-16 21:58:41

Thanks so much everyone, I've got a nice little lot to go through now!
I showed him a youtube video last night of the Autistic Genius reading 'Dude, I'm an aspie' and he really liked it. I also ordered the book which arrived today and he loved it! Made him howl with laughter and he was nodding away and reading the cartoons out to me.
Interestingly he also mentioned that he'd been speaking to a friend at School about having Aspergers which I'm really pleased by, didn't think he was really taking it all in to be honest!
If anyone else wants to have see the book being read by Autistic Genius this is the link. www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr93kliZLsk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now