Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Unusual sentence order 5 year old

(6 Posts)
EnterNicknameHere Mon 07-Mar-16 20:21:48

Hi, my almost five year old has developmental delays, especially around speech, I think he will end up with an ASD diagnosis like his older brother.
He can communicate ok, but can't be reasoned with because he thinks he's been misunderstood.
The way he talks is unusual, he has pronunciation difficulties, a stutter and the way he talks, I can only describe as sounding like yoda from Star Wars, for example instead of saying "I'd like a drink" he will say " a drink I need" or instead of "she is a mummy" he will say "a mummy she is" this is how he says most of his sentences. Is there a name for this kind of speech pattern, we have been waiting for speech therapy since June and no word from them yet. He's had almost a year break from the pre school speech therapy team and the new therapist.
Also instead of saying I'm bleeding, he will say "I'm on blood" or if he's dirty " I'm on dirt" is this typical for a child with ASD?
He is under a peadiatrician and a learning disability team but it's a long drawn out process.
Thankyou for reading.

zzzzz Mon 07-Mar-16 20:28:31

If there is a typical language deficit I would say the most well documented is pronoun reversal, which given your examples your child doesn't have?? But I would say there is something familiar about the clunky sentence formation you describe. Google Language Disorder, RALLI do some good information on line/video.

EnterNicknameHere Mon 07-Mar-16 21:14:55

No he doesn't have pronoun reversal, but he calls everyone him and he, won't use she or her. I don't know if this is the same. DS2 did this too until around 5.
DS2 had phonological disorder, but DS3 doesn't seem to have quite the same language problems.
I'll google language disorder now, thanks flowers

AntiquityReRises Tue 08-Mar-16 11:37:26

ds is 4 and autistic and when he forms his own sentences rather than using echolalia they are jumbled up. I can't think of an example right now. With your example for instance about the dirt if ds said it, and he's said similar things, I would assume rather than saying he was dirty he would be trying to say that dirt is on him, so he's got all the right components, himself (I'm), on & dirt, just not in the right order.

ds has only been speaking for a year and only recently not always using echolalia so I'm mostly in the dark. I know he has language inside as he loves being read to and is teaching himself to read, but getting his own words out seems to be a jumble. He is also not consistent with pronunciation and in the same couple of minutes period can pronounce the same word differently.

I'm not sure this is any help at all other than my child has autism and his own sentences can be a mess and I've also been reminded of yoda! I wonder with my ds if one of the reasons is also because nouns are easy and familiar as he's labelled things for a lot longer, so 'a drink' comes to mind first and then adds on the other bits because it's much harder at this point to formulate a whole sentence in the right order in his brain then transfer that to speech.

kelda Wed 09-Mar-16 12:11:13

My ds has developmental dysphasia, he says things like this.

EnterNicknameHere Wed 09-Mar-16 21:17:25

AntiquityReRises that makes more
sense about the dirt being on him rather than he is dirty! Thankyou.

And yes my DS is inconsistent in his pronunciation, he will for example sometimes call a kiss either a kiss, a piss or a kit.

He also substitues some words, like he won't say tshirt even though he understands the words, he calls them cut tops and also there are cut pants for shorts. And if there is something where there is a choice of colours instead of saying there are different colours he will say it's a "which colour?" So if he sees there is a bag of different coloured lollies for example, he will say they are "which clolor(colour) lollies" 😀 I do love his speech oddities, they are very cute but obviously he could get teased as he gets a little older.

Thanks kelda I'd never heard of dysphasia I'll look it up in a bit.

We have recently had parents evening and his teacher said he's not going to meet any of the targets relating to reading, writing and maths so they are filling in an early help assesment form, focusing on his speech and learning. Does anyone know what exactly this is, is it similar to a caf?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now