Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Disabled persons bus pass ... thoughts please ...

(7 Posts)
frazzledbutcalm Thu 03-Mar-16 14:26:16

Dd1 aged 16, busy going through dx assessment for ASD. Last year we were receiving DLA mrc, lrm. I applied for a disabled bus pass for her - I wasn't sure if she'd meet the criteria as she only got lrm (one of the condition is you must get hrm). The wording was a bit ambiguous, I also sent her pupil profile from school which showed she was on the SEN register (although no statement). She got her bus pass! Great!

We've come to renew it, she now gets PIP enhanced rate care, no mobility (something I MUST challenge as she DOES qualify for lower rate!). I sent her pupil profile from college which shows far more extensive support given than last year at school. She's been declined for a renewal of her bus pass on the basis that she doesn't get enhanced rate mobility and doesn't have a significant learning disability.

So, because they gave her a bus pass last year even without hrm, essentially her circumstances remain the same now, does this set a precedent for the renewal? Should I contact them and ask for a reconsideration on those grounds or is it really a case of we were lucky last year, she shouldn't have really had one?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

NoHaudinMaWheest Thu 03-Mar-16 20:15:50

The problem is that each LA can make their own rules so you would have to show you qualified under them. They seem to have used some discretion last year but are unwilling to this year. However as nothing has changed you have nothing to lose by asking for a reconsideration. This is the sort of case where your local councillor can be useful.
And I agree that the rules are really inconsistent. LRM is given because the person is unsafe to travel alone and so probably needs a companion and a bus pass is essential or at least very helpful.

vjg13 Fri 04-Mar-16 12:27:50

I would also ask for it to be reconsidered and try to include some supportive evidence.

frazzledbutcalm Fri 04-Mar-16 16:13:54

Thanks no and vjg

I'll contact them and report back.

I've just realised my title seem quite demanding! Like I'm ordering people to read and give me their thoughts! grin

frazzledbutcalm Thu 24-Mar-16 17:00:34

Just an update. I sent a letter in asking them to reconsider, said dd is in the exact same position as last year, you gave her bus pass then, surely you can't refuse her one now ... they've issued her pass!!! So pleased I wrote in!

Ineedmorepatience Fri 25-Mar-16 10:33:02

Good news frazzled LA's make up their own rules and sometimes I think they try it on to see if people will accept less than they are entitled to! The moral of your story is always appeal if you think you/your children are not getting what they need!

Well done flowers

SauvignonBlanche Fri 25-Mar-16 16:57:44

That's good to hear. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now