Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

IF A SCHOOL OFFERS A PLACE?

(5 Posts)
ChowNowBrownCow Wed 02-Mar-16 09:25:57

We are coming to the end of the EHCP process. Have requested an independant school and have heard from the LA that they have paid for ds to be assessed at the school. Now to me it looks like they are very seriously considering our choice of school due to the fact they have said he can be assessed and do taster days there. If the school agrees that ds can go there and offers a placement, does anybody know if the LA can still wriggle out of it? It would seem insane to do so, but I just wondered if anyone has experience of this? ds current school (mainstream primary) have written to LA and said they cannot meet his needs. There are no local LA schools that can meet his needs, hence the naming of independant school.

OneInEight Wed 02-Mar-16 15:05:50

On our area it has to be agreed by "a panel". Having said that if all LA schools can not meet needs they are unlikely to be able to say no. And, yes, agreement to assess is a very encouraging start. Probably more of a danger that the school might say no. For ds1 the assessment was really a formality and he went seamlessly into an agreed placement at the schools, hopefully, it will go smoothly for you also.

ChowNowBrownCow Wed 02-Mar-16 15:46:02

oneineight - I think its encouraging as well as they have had to pay the school to do the actual assessment. I am really hoping that it goes well and that my ds will fit with the school. He's been out of school since November with anxiety so they need to meet his needs and I suppose reading a childs ehcp is differant from actually meeting the child and doing their own assessment. I would hate it if they said 'yes' they can meet his needs and then the LA said no. The LA have only approached one other independant school with the ehcp and taster days will be offered there too. Its a very close second choice for us and can see DS at either school. Would it be fare to assume that as they have not suggested or approached any school within the borough we may get either of our choices?? I do hope so!

mum2anxious Wed 02-Mar-16 22:43:48

Hello ChowNow . We had same, La funded taster at indie school, then it had to go to panel, took ages. then they agreed funding,and I thought he would go there, but I happened then to ask how he would get there - then I discovered they refused transport, which in middle of negotiating. the cogs take and age to turn, even when you think you're nearly there. Might just be our La though. Will your ds need transport?

ChowNowBrownCow Thu 17-Mar-16 21:35:36

sorry for such a delayed reply mum2anxious. the update is that the independant school have offered my ds a place. It will go to panel and the decision whether they will pay for the placement will be made. I have not said anything about transport as I believe that if they have named the school then they should get ds to the school. I also know that there are a number of children within my LA that have transport paid for to this particular school. I have no way of getting him there and back, so the only option is that transport is provided. At what point should I bring up the transport issue?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now