Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

First Ed Psych appointment - what to expect?

(6 Posts)
Blossom4538 Fri 26-Feb-16 20:44:35

Hi all,

We have our first meeting with the Ed Psych very soon. Just wondering what to expect really. I think she's meeting us and then assessing our little one. I am concerned though as her teacher is currently off sick and may not be back in time to attend.

We have emailed her an update of prev referrals, camhs, Paed, play therapy etc. Should we provide further notes, I have many of various behaviours etc!

I'm kind of nervous. I am used to speaking to professionals/head teachers, teachers, about her now but still anxious!

Also, she has now been placed into an intervention group, 4 afternoons a week, for social, emotional, focus, sensory and motor skill support/nurture. I feel so sad she needs this but pleased and appreciative they are providing it too. Anyone else's little ones had this?

Tambaboy Sun 28-Feb-16 15:08:47

Hi Blossom, I'm not an expert at all so I can only tell you about our experience with DS. EP came to school to observe ds in class and break time, she then did some cognitive assessments and then had a chat with us and the SENCO and we talked through our worries, DS' weaknesses and strengths. She did take note of everything and suggested some strategies.

We received the report a few weeks later. In the report she described what she saw in her observations, explained the things that she thought were working for DS, the things that didn't, results of the cognitive assessments and several recommendations.

How old is your DD? Is this assessment part of the statutory assessment?

Blossom4538 Sun 28-Feb-16 21:23:30

Thank you, I'm not sure?! She's 4 and received a little 1-1 support for Sen at pre-school. She seems to suffer with selective mutism and struggle with anxiety, social interaction and has some unusual behaviours and perhaps sensory sensitivities.

Blossom4538 Mon 29-Feb-16 13:51:39

Feeling quite down and extremely nervous about it today sad

Tambaboy Mon 29-Feb-16 16:14:02

Just for you thanks
Assessments can be difficult for parents because you have to go over dc's struggles time and time again. I've had to go explain DS' difficulties with every single professional involved in DS' care, it's soul destroying, why don't they talk to each other or read the reports?!

I hope the EP can give you and the school strategies on how to help DD.
If she has some sensory issues maybe an OT (occupational therapist) referral would be helpful. DS has some sensory issues and he does some exercises at school with the help of his TAs and they have seen some improvement.

Has she been assessed by the paediatrician yet? Have they suggested what might be the issue?

Blossom4538 Wed 02-Mar-16 13:32:49

Thank you for your message! I was so stressed about the appointment. We have had paediatrician appointment, play/occupational therapist, now doing nurture group at school and have been pushing for ed psych for past 14 months, along with her pre-school.

She almost 100% has anxiety, selective mutism and very likely sensory issues. She may be on the autism spectrum but they think it is too soon to say. EP is going to carry out further assessments and we will receive a report in 4-6 weeks time. She is going to provide some strategies to help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now