Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Ehcp advice please

(29 Posts)
Kimpeach22 Mon 22-Feb-16 12:08:37

Please could any explain what happens next after filling in the parental views in on the ehcp. I have spoken to nursery and they have not heard any thing yet.

Advice needed please
Thanks
Kim

GruntledOne Mon 22-Feb-16 12:24:27

Have a look on your local authority's local offer website. What happens in our area is that at the same time they're supposed to be getting evidence from other sources like the educational psychologist, then they produce a draft EHCP and call a meeting to discuss it. After any changes have been made it goes to the panel to decided whether they're actually going to issue an EHCP, and if they do they serve a further copy and ask about school preference. The deadline for finalising is 20 weeks from when you first asked for an EHC needs assessment.

Kimpeach22 Mon 22-Feb-16 12:43:08

My son has already be seen by a educational psychologist before we applied for the ehcp. But I thought that they would ask for information from the nursery by now and was told today that they haven't .its been 2weeks since I sent back the parental views. My son is due to start school in September and I am hoping that he will get into a special school and am worrying about getting the plan in time.
I got a letter with the steps but am not sure where abouts I am at .

Thanks
Kim

GruntledOne Mon 22-Feb-16 16:38:02

When did you apply?

Kimpeach22 Mon 22-Feb-16 16:54:57

The all about me was put in before Christmas and I was told it would be going to a panel on the 21st of Jan then I received a letter back with the parental views on the 29th and that had to be back to them for the 20th of this month.

Thanks
Kim

GruntledOne Mon 22-Feb-16 18:18:10

Do you remember when you or the school asked for a needs assessment? The 20 weeks is calculated from that date. They should have contacted you within 6 weeks from that date to tell you that they were going to do an EHC assessment, and they should have completed the assessment and decided whether to issue an EHCP within 10 weeks after that, and should finalise it within 4 weeks after that.

So the panel on the 21st was either deciding whether to assess, or whether to issue an EHCP. It sounds a bit like it was the first - is that right? If so, depending on whether they've met the rest of the timetable, they should make a decision whether to issue by around the end of March and finalise it by the end of April.

Kimpeach22 Mon 22-Feb-16 19:45:57

Yes I think it would of be the first. It was my portage worker what said that it needed to be done the nursery never mention anything. I don't even know if he's had a needs assessment. He has recently been diagnosed as severe learning disabilities and is non verbal at 4. When I went to a feedback meeting I was told by the speech therapist that he would need special school and the dr, psychologist have said nursery should have already started to apply. I was told by my portage worker that it's really hard to get a ehcp.
If I have the professional advising it does it make it easier.
Also the nursery asked for the inclusion teacher to visit last November she has made 2 appointments and cancelled both will that look bad for the ehcp because the nursery are coping with him while waiting for her.
Thanks Kim

GruntledOne Tue 23-Feb-16 00:13:09

I'd suggest you try to find out exactly when the needs assessment request was sent so you can calculate the time limits.

If you're anywhere in the south I suggest you try to get to one of the workshops SOS SEN runs about EHC Plans.

Kimpeach22 Tue 23-Feb-16 16:06:36

I am not sure if he's had a needs assessment. who does a needs assessment
Thanks kim

GruntledOne Tue 23-Feb-16 17:22:21

The needs assessment is the start of the process. Someone - presumably the school in your case - enters a formal request for an EHC needs assessment. The local authority must decide within 6 weeks whether to do an assessment. If it says yes, it must then organise the assessment, which involves gathering together information from various people including the school, an educational psychologist and other relevant experts. They then decide whether to issue an EHC Plan, and are supposed to tell you their decision on that within 16 weeks from the date the request for assessment was sent. If they decide to issue an EHCP, they draft it and consult you on it, and must send a final signed EHCP within 20 weeks from the date the assessment was requested.

It's really important that you understand the process properly and in particular that you check the EHCP carefull to ensure that it is accurate and that all the provision for your child is detailed and specific. If you can't get to an SOS SEN workshop, I strongly recommend looking at their website or IPSEA's and printing off and reading the information about EHCPs and the assessment process.

Kimpeach22 Wed 24-Feb-16 17:58:39

I was having help from my portage worker but she hasn't been for 6 weeks now. I have parenting partnership helping now but I only having to contact them when I receive any thing from the la.
I had a speech therapy appointment yesterday and she told me that she received a letter last month about the ehcp. She said that they would email her for a report and she would need to get it back to them within 4 weeks.
Thanks kim

Ineedmorepatience Thu 25-Feb-16 09:31:18

You are entitled to an independent supporter to help you through the process! In my area it is MENCAP! Try googling your area and SEND independent supporter and see what comes up!

Do you think your portage worker might have requested the EHC needs assessment? If it was her\him then they might be doing the paperwork! You could ring and ask if you are not sure but again in my area portage can do that!

Do you have a Team Around the Child?

Kimpeach22 Thu 25-Feb-16 13:37:36

We have send I dependant supporter. If think it might have been my worker worker she told me at the time that she would have to take over as lead professional because it was the hv at first but the hv only did a caf form for portage to come in. Does a team around the child means the professionals involved with parents meeting because I have never had 1. I went to a parent feedback meeting with his dr and the speech therpist but no one else.

Thanks kim

Kimpeach22 Thu 25-Feb-16 13:42:45

Also I can't contact my portage worker she hasn't been since the 14th Jan she was supposed to be going into nursery but has cancelled every week since then. Kim

Ineedmorepatience Thu 25-Feb-16 16:53:42

Hmm! How about contacting the department where she is based! They cant just stop sending someone when they have closed the case or discharged!

Team around the child is where all proffs involved with a child get together but I think you need more than 2 proffs to trigger it!

I would encourage the independent support worker to take the lead and see if things move forward that way!

Ineedmorepatience Thu 25-Feb-16 21:48:48

"havent" blush

Kimpeach22 Sun 28-Feb-16 14:24:05

I have telephoned the Sen team and they said that my portage worker should be visiting nursery this week. But still unsure about the inclusion teacher will be going in.
Kim

Kimpeach22 Mon 07-Mar-16 17:57:04

Just a update the portage worker didn't go to nursery but a different inclusion teacher will be visiting this week.
Also I got a letter from the la saying they would now be asking professionals for advice can any one tell me if that a good sign or could they still refuse to do a ehcp.

Thanks
Kim

Kimpeach22 Wed 16-Mar-16 14:02:45

Another update inclusion teacher didn't come portage has still not been and another appointment with inclusion teacher today she didn't turn up again. I don't know what to do now I have telephoned the learner support team to ask why she has cancelled 3 visits now since January and they said that they would get back to me. Should I be complaining about this and who to .
Kim

StarlightMcKenzee Wed 16-Mar-16 18:43:53

Call IPSEA or SOSSEN.

Kimpeach22 Wed 16-Mar-16 19:03:52

I have telephoned parenting partnership and they said it was the second call this week about the inclusion teacher not turning up. Hopefully they will find some thing out and let me know.

Kim

StarlightMcKenzee Wed 16-Mar-16 19:06:24

Nope. You need to call IPSEA or SOSSEN. Parent partnership are not independent and not legally trained.

Kimpeach22 Thu 17-Mar-16 14:35:19

I had a phone call this morning from the inclusion teacher this morning and she told me said would visit today. I will wait till I pick me son up and see if she's been.

Kim

StarlightMcKenzee Thu 17-Mar-16 16:13:41

You're focussing on the wrong thing. Inclusion teacher or not, you are being treated wrongly, possibly illegally and you need to call IPSEA or SOSSEN.

Kimpeach22 Thu 17-Mar-16 16:31:26

Should I ring about the messing around with the inclusion teacher and the no visits off portage. The inclusion teacher did turn up 2 months late and now the portage worker hasn't been for 8 weeks. The inclusion said she was still on sick leave. But I was told that portage should have sent to replacement while she's off.
I don't think she would have gone in today if I hadn't have complained yesterday.
Kim

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now