Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What changes at 16?

(7 Posts)
GlitteryShoes Sun 21-Feb-16 07:50:27

I have read all sorts about benefits for children at 16 - that DLA gets paid to them, they can claim ESA etc. I am finding it quite iverwhelming what to do. My daughter is 15 with autism, is deaf and has learning difficulties. She would buy every my little pony on Amazon if she had access to cash. However, I want her to have what she is entitled to (if supervised)

Has anyone navigated the system fo this age group?

DigestiveBiscuit Sun 21-Feb-16 09:02:35

Yes, if you genuinely think she could not manage her money, the DWP can make you her appointee - then you can continue to handle her benefits for her, in a bank account in your name only. They send someone out to see you - I can't remember if they want to see her too, or if professional reports are enough.

If she is continuing in full time education, you can apply for ESA for her. The details on how to apply are on the Internet. There also used to be a bursary, worth £1,200 pa, a remainder of EMA for disabled students in education over 16 up to 19 - check if it is still available.

DigestiveBiscuit Sun 21-Feb-16 09:05:23

DigestiveBiscuit Sun 21-Feb-16 09:08:51

GlitteryShoes Sun 21-Feb-16 10:58:46

Thank you. I think she thinks she could manage her money but she really can't - she recently spent all her savings on a hand painted tie ( of a member of the Royal family), and she gives random strangers money for their used bus tickets ( which is a whole other issue)

Does ESA start when they start year 12 or as soon as she is 16? She currently goes to a great respite facility which has to be paid for when she is 16 and I really want it to continue.

DigestiveBiscuit Sun 21-Feb-16 11:24:54

I imagine ESA starts at 16. I'm not at home ATM, but I'll check in my Disability Rights Handbook later.

Do you get the respite through SS? I don't think she has to pay, while in full time education. DD doesn't.

GlitteryShoes Sun 21-Feb-16 12:49:19

In terms of respite ( a weekly club and day trips, with occasional residential holidays) I saw a leaflet at her special school and phoned up. They assessed us, and they charge SS. We have not seen anyone from SS. Young people who receive direct payments have to pay though, and I was told she would only be eligible till she was 16, but they may mean until end of year 11?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now