Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How to explain to 5yo that, well, life sucks, sometimes you will get in trouble for something you didn't do

(6 Posts)
Ekorre Thu 18-Feb-16 13:14:12

Shit Happens for 5yos?

Ds hates getting told off or doing something 'Wrong'. Yesterday he stood on someone's foot by mistake and they were upset. He felt bad.

Another really bad thing happened in his eyes. He got told off because another boy said poo or bum or something and teacher thought it was him. Unfortunate but one of those things. But he cannot shake that it is so unfair because he didn't do it.

How to explain that this is just life? I said sometimes it might be him who said it and someone else who gets told off. Sometimes they will all get away without being told off so it kind of balances out. Also ds if you go around say poo/bum etc all the time (he agrees he does) teacher will presume it was you if she isn't sure.

I do feel the same as him about injustice but I'm so ground down about the world being an awful bloody place I don't want to pass that on to him.

Any advice from those of you who have been before?

PolterGoose Thu 18-Feb-16 13:52:06

It's a horrible lesson to need to learn at 5 sad

My ds is very similar, he's more pragmatic now but has a strong sense of justice and fairness which is a good thing, even if it causes problems some of the time. Sounds like you handled the poo/bum thing perfectly smile

Ekorre Thu 18-Feb-16 14:01:37

Thank you Polter.

Ineedmorepatience Thu 18-Feb-16 15:16:07

I would have to just tell Dd3 that I am sorry that someone blamed her for something she didnt do! It would be highly likely that she would bear a grudge against that person for a really long time or until they apologised!

She has Asd!

Ekorre Thu 18-Feb-16 15:28:51

Yes I expect I will be hearing about this for years.

Although, of course, my ds doesn't have ASD, he's 'fine' and just 'quirky'.

I'm about to get him after school and let's hope he doesn't attack me or lie in front of the bus refusing to move, again. <just had a very frustrating chat with CAMHS reception staff. Apparently there are so few clinical staff actually in their posts atm they can't even find the waiting list>

Ineedmorepatience Thu 18-Feb-16 15:36:55

Oh dear! Thats rubbish! hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now