Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

EHCP timescale for needs assessment request

(9 Posts)
Sobloomintired Sat 13-Feb-16 13:04:21

Hi, my daughters school have at last requested an ECHP needs assessment for her. She's in year 4 and has difficulties since year 1. She has 2 diagnoses and has sensory needs, medical needs and help to concentrate and focus in class. She's probably about 2 years behind and her medical diagnosis causes a lot of anxiety. I hope that's enough background info - I could write an essay!!
Anyway, I signed the form in November last year and was informed by school that the form had been sent by the end of November- this was verbally and stupidly I didn't keep a record of the date. Fast forward to this week and we haven't heard anything from the LA, which is obviously a lot longer than 6 weeks. I have asked school every week for the last 3 weeks when the form was sent in and thus when the deadline is, and just been told I have to wait. I contacted the LA and no reponse. Basically I just want to know if I have any right to expect a reply within 6 weeks of the request and what I can do.
Grateful for any advice
Thanks

GruntledOne Sat 13-Feb-16 13:11:54

Yes, you absolutely are entitled to expect a reply within 6 weeks. I suggest you ask to see you child's file in school - you have an absolute right to it. The request for an assessment should be in there. As they'll be closed next week, try phoning the LA. If there is no evidence that they've put the request in, send one yourself and kick up absolute hell with the school.

Ineedmorepatience Sat 13-Feb-16 13:30:22

You need these people in your life www.ipsea.org.uk flowers

Sobloomintired Sat 13-Feb-16 13:36:49

Thanks for the quick reply. I've seen the form and signed it and the head teacher had signed it so I know the request has been made, I suppose I'm just wondering how legally enforceable the 6 week deadline is and if there's anything I can do.
Thanks again

McFarts Sat 13-Feb-16 14:11:01

I would ring your LA and ask them what date they received it. If when you have confirmation of that date if it is over the 6 week deadline, then formally complain to the head of children services.

Shannaratiger Sat 13-Feb-16 14:12:42

I thought if was 8 week deadline, might be wrong though.

Sobloomintired Sat 13-Feb-16 14:32:45

Thank all. I've left a message for LA SEN team over a week ago and emailed but no reponse. School being vague. It's so frustrating how slowly everything moves isn't it! I'm panicking about getting things in place before secondary school. Thanks again

GruntledOne Sat 13-Feb-16 16:16:47

It is a 6 week problem. You could if necessary enforce it by way of an action for judicial review in your child's name, but if they are past the deadline then almost certainly just the threat of JR would work. If you find out that they are past the deadline, get an email off to them demanding a decision within a few days otherwise you'll have to take JR proceedings. If that doesn't work, get SOS SEN to do a formal pre-action letter.

GruntledOne Sun 14-Feb-16 10:40:23

Don't know why I said it's a 6 week problem - it's a 6 week deadline!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now