Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Family fund - does this sound a reasonable request?

(11 Posts)
PhilPhilConnors Sat 13-Feb-16 09:20:16

I read about family fund on here a while ago.

I've looked into it and have asked for a claim pack, but I can't bring myself to fill out the form, I don't know why.

Ds is constantly going on about needing a laptop or computer, he can't live without it apparently.
I do admit that for a game he plays a laptop would mean he would get more out of it, but that feels like a crap reason to try to get a grant!

The family would benefit from it too, for homework, and for me it would mean I can print out documents instead of having to go into town every time I need something for my records or to send into school.

Does this sound reasonable or am I potentially being grabby?

Ineedmorepatience Sat 13-Feb-16 13:24:09

We asked for a laptop for Dd3 she does play games on it but she uses it for other stuff too eg recording her music and composing, she has used it for some maths stuff we have done and other "work"!

Go for it! If your Ds is entitled to it he will get one, if he isnt he wont! Dont worry about asking that is what they are there for smile

AliceInUnderpants Sat 13-Feb-16 13:25:21

God, you sound like me. I've been donwloading the FF forms for over 2 years still never felt justified in actually asking for something. I always think there's probably people out there more in need than us.

PhilPhilConnors Sat 13-Feb-16 13:29:01

Yes, that's exactly it. My friend claimed for a car seat for her disabled dd, there's no denying that that's absolutely necessary.
A computer seems a luxury in comparison!

AliceInUnderpants Sat 13-Feb-16 13:36:27

Yes, we could really do with 11 yr old DD having her own computer too. But more importantly she needs a high sleeper bed so she has her own 'den'. FF have already ensured me this is something they have provided for families in the past, so why haven't I just filled out the berluddy forms??

BlueBlueBelles Sat 13-Feb-16 14:24:19

My ASD son got a laptop last year - for minecraft and for school work like mathletics. We were granted it.

Year before we got a tumble dryer and a TV. TV because ours was old big back and dead and DS relies on it for chill out, and tumble dryer as I can't keep on top of washing otherwise and he's a filthy thing!

First year we got beds - we had moved from a three bed to a two bed because of the benefit cap, and he and his brother needed a cabin bed as the bunk beds did not work when he had a meltdown.

Apply, you'd be surprised the difference a laptop can make.

Sirzy Sat 13-Feb-16 14:27:05

It will make your life easier, go for it.

We are just awaiting our Delivery of sensory toys from them but have been very impressed by how efficient and easy the process was.

PhilPhilConnors Sat 13-Feb-16 16:09:53

Thank you, I'll have a look at the form tonight.

elliejjtiny Fri 19-Feb-16 01:18:06

Go for it. I need to do mine but I can't decide between a tablet and sensory toys.

higheyes Fri 19-Feb-16 09:08:14

Go for it, we got a laptop a few years ago. It's not an unusual or unreasonable request at all. Be warned though that they use specific suppliers (it was Stone Computers when we did it) and tbh the specs weren't ideal for teenage DD. We did request slightly higher specs than they usually award, but unfortunately she outgrew it quite quickly due to the kind of games/programs she uses. I understand that they're a charity, but I wish they'd trust parents more to be able to shop around for the right product for their child.

elliejj you can apply for more than one item, in the year we got a laptop we also got some money towards days out. And you can apply every twelve months.

Sirzy Fri 19-Feb-16 09:10:14

ellir for sensory toys they use learning space so you can have a look on their website before you apply to get an idea what you would want. I used my whole grant for sensory stuff so have loads coming so if you only want smaller bits you could easily get a tablet and some sensory toys

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now