Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

OT assessment after private dx

(8 Posts)
Verbena37 Wed 10-Feb-16 09:46:38

Hi,
DS (10) dx ASD before Xmas.
He is waiting to see ed.psych mid April. She is going to assess him to see what support he needs but I specifically would like him assessed for dysgraphia.....as suggested by private paed and psychologist.

Would I be better to arrange an OT assessment for this and do I just go to the GP and ask for a referral?

Tia.

Verbena37 Fri 04-Mar-16 00:09:57

Bump.
Since writing, I've mad a GP phone appointment to ask about possible routes and whether they organise an OT appointment.

PolterGoose Fri 04-Mar-16 18:29:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LIZS Fri 04-Mar-16 18:33:02

Gp would probably refer you to a paed first. If he has seen a paed already for the asd assessment they can refer to OT. Be prepared for a wait though.

PolterGoose Fri 04-Mar-16 20:23:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Youarentkiddingme Fri 04-Mar-16 21:56:45

I asked the ot to assess DS for dysgraphia.

No actual outcome yet but looking into him closely has opened a whole can of worms - so it may not end in a specific dx but will be useful in unlocking what they specifically struggle with and getting a programme to help them.

Verbena37 Fri 04-Mar-16 22:14:07

That's all I want at the end of the day.....like you, even if it isn't dysgraphia, at least an OT can assess needs.

Verbena37 Mon 14-Mar-16 15:16:54

Finally saw the Gp and he gave me details.....the school should refer through a schools OT Toolkit apparently. The SENCO hadn't heard of it but said she will find out but isn't holding out hope for an assessment before he moves to secondary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now