Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Any tips on getting ds to take liquid antibiotics? Sensory issues, stubborness etc.

(10 Posts)
Ekorre Tue 09-Feb-16 09:30:21

Ds and I both have flu. He has to take 5 day course of one spoon four times a day. He hates the texture and taste. He's colour blind so it also looks gross colour to him too.

He is unbribe-able, you could offer him his own personal Disneyland plus a trip to the moon and a mountain of favourite snacks and he wouldn't do it, if he'd decided he wasn't doing it. Tried the doctor says you have to, which helps with tooth brushing, but he doesn't care. Doesn't care it will make him better.

Marshmallow09er Tue 09-Feb-16 09:37:46

We have same problem (DS has a rare autoimmune condition which means regular medication). Again unbribable!
Could you ask pharmacist for the medicine in tablet format? DS will turn drink it crushed in a drink he likes.
A friend of mine put her son's meds in yoghurt and he eats it (this has never worked for me but might be worth a try, if he eats yoghurt!)

Good luck

enterthedragon Tue 09-Feb-16 10:00:17

A mouthful of white chocolate buttons worked wonders for us, before and after the medicine, still had to hold DS down though whilst using the syringe to inject the medicine into his mouth while there was still chocolate in it.

Ekorre Tue 09-Feb-16 10:08:26

Oh dear I feel for you, I would hate to do this on a regular basis.

Has to be taken on an empty stomach so can't hide it in anything. He is iffy about all liquid-y type foods so it would be unlikely to get eaten.

Its quite an ordeal to get to the pharmacy for various reasons. We are very remote so it is a journey. Ds hates the building so yesterday was a mega struggle. I'm autistic too and have lost my voice so return to pharmacy is my last resort!

Ekorre Tue 09-Feb-16 10:17:09

Thanks enterthedragon, he's rejected chocolate, even the offer of mummy's special chocolate. I hate forcing him to take it but this is a horrible bug. Urggh.

zzzzz Tue 09-Feb-16 12:15:16

Practice with a liquid he CAN stomach so he gets a feel for the volume and works out his own method of managing (juice? milkshake? water). Have something to go wash it down with if it helps (mine like to drink water and wipe their tongues repeatedly)

Facts
Cold things taste less
Holding your nose before and for a minute after minimises taste (as does another strong liked smell)
strangely for mine loud minecraft music helps

You can both do it.

Shineyshoes10 Tue 09-Feb-16 12:34:04

If you use a syringe and squirt it towards the side of his mouth at the back into the gum they can't spit it out. It doesn't stop the tears and screaming but at least it gets into him.

Cakescakescakes Wed 10-Feb-16 12:28:33

Use a syringe into the back of his mouth and hold his nose to make him swallow. It takes 2 people to get medicine into my DS. One to pretty much pin him down and one to administer the medicine. It's really really awful and distressing for everyone involved but it's necessary as he frequently needs antibiotics which have a really strong taste that can't be disguised. We have tried EVERYTHING.

BlackeyedShepherdsbringsheep Wed 10-Feb-16 13:26:11

ds would take his vile pink medicine diluted with neat concentrated blackcurrant squash and a teaspoon of sugar stirred in.

banana flavour went in milk to make milkshake he cried when the course was finished. <eyeroll>

mine could spit it out wherever it went in with the syringe.

MrsStegosaurus Wed 10-Feb-16 18:41:19

Have PM'd you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now