Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Totally silent, vibrating watch/timer - anyone??

(8 Posts)
namechange7711 Tue 02-Feb-16 18:40:13

DS2 has DCD (Dyspraxia) and therefore has massive problems with organisation and no sense of time etc.

He uses a programmable watch timer which we bought in the USA, which vibrates on his wrist and gives him prompts throughout the day. It's been an absolute godsend and means that he can manoeuvre around school successfully. He also uses it in school exams to give him time prompts e.g. 30 mins to go.

The school are now saying he cannot use it in his GCSEs because although it's very quiet, it isn't totally silent and also it is programmable, so could be used to cheat. They'd be happy for him to use a totally silent, non-programmable one. Just wondered if anyone on this board has got such a thing?

Thanks.

ouryve Tue 02-Feb-16 18:43:55

You can set silent alarms on a fitbit - the flex has no clockface, so may be acceptable.

Lucsy Tue 02-Feb-16 18:45:12

Apple Watch?

jomaman Tue 02-Feb-16 23:45:53

have you looked at MotivAiders? habitchange.com. We used it with ds1, its main selling point is you can randomise when it goes off (e.g. between 5 and 15 min intervals) but I think you can use it on a fixed schedule as well.

Schrodingersmum Wed 03-Feb-16 11:15:11

We have fitbit flexes and they are fab, gently vibrates on wrist but no screen so exam friendly, just set your alarms via phone app or computer and recharge every 5 or so days

namechange7711 Wed 03-Feb-16 19:02:33

Thanks everyone for the ideas - I will do some investigating!

Moominmamma13 Wed 03-Feb-16 20:18:23

I just came across these while looking for something elsesmile Hope it helps.

www.eric.org.uk/Shop/category/205

AgnesDiPesto Sun 07-Feb-16 18:57:26

fitbit is good as you can set lots of alarms for a whole week (I use one with my son with diabetes to get him check blood sugar) but the vibrating alarm is quite noisy -def not silent. Can he do the exams in a different room? There are usually some children who do for various reasons e.g. medical needs, anxiety etc

My son usually sits by the door or in a separate room as if he had a hypo it would disrupt others and also the school are obliged to stop the clock and let him recover from his hypo before continuing exam

I would have thought he could have a timer in exam that counts down?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now