Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

SALT want to discharge him despite it being in his statement?

(4 Posts)
Proudmumof2boys Sat 30-Jan-16 18:55:22

I would appreciate your views please?

DS1 is in y4. SALT want to discharge him as they school have said he is now forming friendships and can control the volume of his voice. They go in to school once a term as per his statement and will be stopping this.

I am concerned about his social communication. He still shouts out and had trouble interacting with others. I am concerned about this getting worse as other children develop and friendship becomes more complex. They say autism outreach are helping with that in school.

They say school said they agreed - school have told me they never but are now sitting on the fence as they are already in the middle of the LA and I.
I'm planning to email and dispute this - I would appreciate any views please?

Veritat Sun 31-Jan-16 03:27:12

They're not allowed just to decide to stop providing the support: if they really think it's not necessary the only way it can be stopped is by the LA going through the formal process of amending the statement and consulting you on it, including giving you a right of appeal. Contact the LA and ask them to confirm that they will ensure that SALT continues as required by the statement. If they don't, tell them you'll have to take judicial review proceedings to enforce it, and contact someone like SOS SEN or Maxwell Gllott or Irwin Mitchell to start the ball rolling.

2boysnamedR Sun 31-Jan-16 15:05:30

That's very poor. If you can of ford it can you get a indi SLT to do a report as well to prove its still needed?

Proudmumof2boys Sun 31-Jan-16 20:05:25

Thabks bother fur your replies. I will ring SOS SEN

Thanks 2 - I can use his DLA to do that, I just didn't know if it is worthwhile now. I'm saving up for his transfer to ECHP at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now