Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Dual placement

(17 Posts)
Shineyshoes10 Fri 29-Jan-16 13:42:44

Would we be mad to push the LA to agree to a dual placement? With an out of area SS and a home tutor.

There isn't a SS that can meet all DS's needs. There's one out of area that can meet his emotional, behavioural and medical needs but they said he's too academically able.

So the SS can provide the therapy and the social side of things and a home tutor the academic side.

The school are open to it and have done something similar in the past.

Would it even work if (and it's a big if) we could get the LA to agree? Logistically I can see the potential for it to be a nightmare.

A dual placement with a MS wouldn't work because at the moment he's too volatile to be in a busy classroom.

Has anyone done something similar?

Shineyshoes10 Tue 02-Feb-16 14:27:12

Has anyone done anything similar? Or is it a ridiculous idea and we go back to the drawing board?

StarlightMcKenzee Tue 02-Feb-16 15:00:59

What about an EOTAS package?

Veritat Tue 02-Feb-16 15:58:20

I think I once heard about a tribunal that ordered a dual placement that was past special and part mainstream school, so it sounds as if it is possible.

zzzzz Tue 02-Feb-16 16:00:43

Why tutor at home? Why not in school?

Shineyshoes10 Tue 02-Feb-16 16:55:28

Thanks

zzzzz I did ask about that but the LA said it's not possible. Is it?

Frustratingly the school is near perfect apart from the academic side of things.

EOTAS tuition starts after half term for 5 hours a week home tuition. Can you get more put in the EHCP? How would it work with therapy sessions? Would we need to have direct payments and sort it ourselves?

zzzzz Tue 02-Feb-16 17:27:42

No idea really shiney how academically able? Would Interhigh in school work?

Veritat Tue 02-Feb-16 18:22:32

EOTAS should be more than 5 hours a week if that's the only education they're offering. Your child is entitled to a full time education, though there's guidance that says it could be less than full time if it's 1:1 education as that's more intensive than school lessons.

It might be worth asking the school whether it's possible to have tuition there. I guess it mostly depends on whether they physically have space.

zzzzz Tue 02-Feb-16 19:59:56

The reason I asked about Interhigh is I'm sure I saw someone either on herevor a doc, doing Interhigh in school. (Phone them and ask them wink it will be quicker than asking LA)

Shineyshoes10 Tue 02-Feb-16 20:01:08

He's too young for inter high he's only year one. Something similar could work though. I hadn't thought of that.

Maths he's working 2 to 2.5 years ahead depending on the topic. Non verbal reasoning is on the 97th centile. His single word reading age was 9yrs11mnths in November. Reading comprehension is at a level that's expected at the end of year2. Writing is just slightly above where he should be but will do everything not to put pen to paper.

The 5 hours is all he will be getting till the EHCP is finalised.

I'll ask the school tomorrow thanks.

zzzzz Tue 02-Feb-16 20:05:57

Briteschool do primary. To be honest if he's two years ahead in yr1 it should be more than within their abilities accommodate academically, however on line school may capture his attention as it is less in your face iykwim.

Shineyshoes10 Tue 02-Feb-16 20:40:25

I think the problem for them is in maths he's working above the level of any of the current pupils and he's around the level of some of the year 6s in literacy. A large proportion are on P levels.

Their email said 'We would be unable to meet X's needs at this time due to his academic profile' Maybe it's a funding or space problem rather than they can't. I will go back to them to discuss it further and look at briteschool.

zzzzz Wed 03-Feb-16 14:57:09

What level is he socially?

Schrodingersmum Wed 03-Feb-16 15:07:40

We have a DD at Interhigh (ehcp) last year they had children from 26 LEA's funded either by direct placement or as dual placement where the school funded interhigh

The head supplied me with this info when we were in a similar position, DD Is gifted and seems quite happy there

For Primary I would imagine that as this precedent has already been set you could use Bright school instead

Hope this helps you flowers

Shineyshoes10 Wed 03-Feb-16 19:50:49

Assessments put him in either the 16-26months or the 22-36 months category for social and emotional development. The reports say it's difficult to get an accurate picture and he does satisfy some 30-50 months points depending on the environment. He has had the skills but has regressed.

Apart from a select few children he won't join in playing with others but plays more alongside them if at all. Those he does play with he can play happily with if there's adult support. He struggles to recognise, manage and express his emotions. He relies heavily on adult reassurance.

Schrodingersmum thanks that sounds promising. I need to ring briteschool as their website says 9+.

I've asked the school to ring me back so we can discuss it further. Once I've spoken to them I'll talk to the LA again.

Shineyshoes10 Thu 18-Feb-16 00:48:41

Just coming back to this in an attempt to get my thoughts in some kind of order.

Briteschool is for 9+. After talking to the ed psych she thinks DS would still need a 1:1 physically sat with him to keep him on task and for reassurance anyway.

The ed psych thinks DS would become frustrated if/when he struggled to communicate with the peer group he would have at the school we had in mind. She also doesn't think his social skills will develop there.

So I suppose the school isn't for DS. Which is a shame because facilities and resource wise it ticks lots of boxes. It's upsetting to see his needs laid out so clearly as a long list of negatives and things that won't work.

Back to square one now. How do EOTAS packages work for therapy sessions? Would we need direct payments?

Shineyshoes10 Thu 18-Feb-16 21:38:46

Also with an EOTAS package how do you make sure DC don't become socially isolated? Sports clubs would be a good answer but DS can't cope with group activities at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now