Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

primary age children who cannot cope with supermarkets, ok to stop taking them?

(8 Posts)
megletthesecond Sat 23-Jan-16 17:27:22

We only do short supermarket trips, 10-15 mins but 7yo DD has become more difficult in supermarkets recently. Throws herself on the floor, kicks and hits me and her older brother and over the last few weeks she's started spitting at me or her brother but it's just peaked after she nearly spat on another customer sad angry (Cue grovelling apology from me).

I'm a working lp so I sometimes need to top up at weekends (I don't have the storage space to do big on-line shops and I benefit from yellow sticker bargains) but I'm going to have to stop taking dd aren't I?

No dx because paed blamed my parenting, but I've always suspected Asd, she's perfect and bright at school but out of control at home.

If I don't come back for a bit I'm making tea to calm my nerves after the supermarket incident.

Sirzy Sat 23-Jan-16 17:32:12

If you need to go I don't see how you can avoid taking her unfortunately.

Have you tried things like giving her a list of things to find? Making it into something more fun for her? Linking it into a trip to the park or to buy things for a picnic/baking?

Sirzy Sat 23-Jan-16 17:32:50

Also could it be a sensory overload thing? Would an iPod and some headphones make it easier for her?

PrimeDirective Sat 23-Jan-16 17:53:20

I would avoid as much as possible, but if you do need to go:
give her plenty of warning,
get very organised so you can get in and out as much as possible,
help her manage the sensory overload - hat, sunglasses, headphones,
give constant reassurance that she is doing well,
count down how many more things you have to get.

I've had success with that method

PolterGoose Sat 23-Jan-16 18:15:19

Yes, ds was horrendous. In school holidays I use online shopping and now he's old enough I can leave him in the car while I pop in a shop, my goodness that's made life easier! I would go right back to small steps. Stop taking her for a bit. Then take her to buy one thing for her that you've conveniently run out of, but only when she's already in a calm a state as possible. Do not be tempted to add anything else to the shop, just buy exactly what you've agreed to and go home. Next opportune moment buy one thing for her and one other thing, very slowly build up, make sure each trip is a success. If she starts getting anxious then leave. If I do need to take ds into a shop now he med's to know exactly what we are buying and how long it will take, I always say it will take longer than I think it will and we do time it, lots of times it being quicker than expected helps too!

PolterGoose Sat 23-Jan-16 18:16:16

needs not med's

megletthesecond Sat 23-Jan-16 18:55:39

sirzy something to block out the noise might help her. I'll have a look at second hand ipods.

prime and polter I'll stop the supermarket trips for now and try those techniques when we eventually need to go back. I'd better do some serious half term menu planning though so we can avoid shopping that week, I've got the week off work so I won't have to chance to grab anything on my way home.

PolterGoose Sat 23-Jan-16 18:58:36

I think the key is to not return until you have the time and headspace to prepare well and not be in a hurry. If you do it in a rush or when you need something 'now' it'll end in tears <voice of experience>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now