Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Secondary school transition for child with ASD - how long?

(3 Posts)
PhilPhilConnors Fri 22-Jan-16 11:00:48

In October I spoke to the SENCO at the secondary ds is going to go to, she suggested that transition started as soon as possible so he feels comfortable there and is familiar with some of the teachers.
I have a meeting at his primary school next week and contacted the secondary SENCO to see if any contact had been made by primary SENCO about transition, she emailed back that no, no-one had been in contact, and we needed to get on and make a plan.
The HT at the primary took me to one side to say she was confused why I had said that there needed to be contact so soon, and that the SENCO had spoken to secondary SENCO and the plan was to leave it until after SATS (in May) and arrange 3 visits before school breaks up.

I'm very confused, as this is not what the secondary SENCO told me, I'm also very aware that summer term in secondary is a difficult, busy time for staff due to exams, and I'm also aware that other children with ASD have already started their transition, because ds1 (already at the school) told me.

What normally happens? How long ideally do children with ASD need?
Sorry for ranting, just sick of hearing mixed messages and being fobbed off because ds is fine. He's not fucking fine or we wouldn't be going through all of this shit angry.

PolterGoose Fri 22-Jan-16 11:12:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PhilPhilConnors Fri 22-Jan-16 11:27:08

Thank you. I've spoken to the secondary SENCO and she's going to contact the HT.
Anger was getting in the way of sense blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now