Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

All i want is to go to work

(9 Posts)
shazzarooney99 Thu 21-Jan-16 09:07:03

My son has been kicking off some mornings going into school,sometimes we are not getting in till 12pm i work in schools so i cannot just turn up willy nilly as i move about here there and everywhere, this has been going on since October.
Any tips on how i can get back into work please?

zzzzz Thu 21-Jan-16 09:30:37

Is the problem getting him out of bed, into uniform, out of the house or into school?

shazzarooney99 Thu 21-Jan-16 11:09:05

All of those xxxxx

zzzzz Thu 21-Jan-16 11:30:14

The only way I can see of getting back to work is getting the mornings working better at least most of the time.
You are among friends.
None of us on this board are likely to think either of you are being slack/awful.
We get it and we've been there for the most part.

brew

On the plus side child wrangling is something I enjoy unpicking so do you want to give it a go?

Lets break it down into the 4 parts

1) Getting him out of bed

On non-school days does he get up? What would he do if left to his own devices? Does he sleep well and does he need the loo first thing or is he hungry?

2)Getting him into uniform
Does he get dressed by himself? what are the stumbling blocks? does he like his uniform?

3)getting out of the house
Do you walk or bus or drive? what happens on a good day? what do you think would help on the journey?

4)going into school
could he start earlier or later to miss the rush? what do you think are the issues?

shazzarooney99 Thu 21-Jan-16 17:51:53

Thanks zzzzzzzzz

We can eventually manage to get him out of bed after some time,he usually gets up at weekends,the child has never had a proper lie in even weekends hes up early, he doesnt go to the loo first thing, he usually goes just before school as he will not go to the toilet in school and at the moment all he is having for breakfast is a tiny morsel of fruit which i dont understand as he has a huge apptite, yet he hardly eats his packed lunch? he does however eat at lot at home at nightime.

Most times i am finding now i am having to get him ready, some days he will do it himself and he hates his uniform, the other day he was kicking off all morning and i ended up taking him in jeans and t shirt, dont think the head teacher was amused as she called me mrs when she usually calls me by my first name, however the way i saw it at least we got him in at 12pm after a meltdown for hours.

We normally drive to school on a good day he will happily get in the car and go no problem.

At the moment he is going through the office doors as to avoid the playground and cloakroom however he still kicks off, the problem is school itself, i firmly belive now if he diddnt have school i feel meltdowns would be rare,we avoid the supermarkets too. They are supposed to be going on a trip and hes saying he doesnt want to go hed rather stay at shool and do work.

Theres also another boy in his class that he clashes with,this other boy has sen, my son has taken a bad disliking to him. My son is also obssesed with this boy and something this boy has done a while ago plays on my sons mind.

My mother died in October this is when it all started as i let him have a few days off school, then my aunty died last sunday and i diddnt tell him, of course hes heard me on the phone a few nights ago and its came out when hes been kicking off tonight, i diddnt want to tell him as its a lot to deal with so close to my mother going.

LIZS Thu 21-Jan-16 17:57:15

How old is he? Does he have any Sen?

zzzzz Thu 21-Jan-16 18:14:59

Does he eat breakfast at weekends?

shazzarooney99 Thu 21-Jan-16 18:20:06

He is 8, he has sensory processing disorder, hypercussis and autistic traits till peadatrcian gets word from school as she was going to diagnose him with high functioning but unfortunately the pead got no info from school.

As far as i am aware school say he does ok academically in school, however he always tells me he struggles, hes in a group for maths, he really struggles with english, he hates pe and has a toilet phobia, but they have taken him off his iep.

Hes very aggressive and always threatening to kill himself, he has started hitting himself when he has meltdowns and often trys to get a knives and stuff and reg launches cups,plates whatever he can lay his hands on.

Yes he does eat breakfast at the weekend although not cereal, he feels sick all the time and has somehow connected this to milk, so wont have cereal at all now.

shazzarooney99 Thu 21-Jan-16 18:23:31

Normal peadatrician has been on maternity leave and the stand in peadatrician has refered him to complex needs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now