Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can I get melatonin without DX?

(9 Posts)
lucysnowe Wed 20-Jan-16 12:02:17

Hi!

My daughter (suspected ASD) never goes to sleep much before 11 pm. It is causing major problems and also makes her super sleepy and hard to wake in the mornings. If I went to my GP could they prescribe melatonin? I have been sent CAMHS form to fill but not done yet.

Thanks smile

Schrodingersmum Wed 20-Jan-16 12:45:12

Your gp cannot legally prescribe melatonin, it has to be from a paediatrician

You should not be able to buy it in the UK, however if you search the internet (or ebay) you will probably manage to find it, it may be called melatonin amongst other things

Alternatively Amazon.com

CrispyFB Wed 20-Jan-16 13:28:05

It is not difficult to find online smile

zzzzz Wed 20-Jan-16 17:38:12

Buying drugs on line is stupid.

Yes without dx, BUT you need consultant not GP.

Or go to a proper pharmacist in eg Spain.

lucysnowe Thu 21-Jan-16 18:13:10

Thanks guys smile

birdlover1977 Fri 22-Jan-16 21:20:54

I agree with ZZZZZ and would never give my child medication I had purchased online. You have no way of knowing what is in it. Good luck with getting the melatonin, it works really well for my boys.

shazzarooney99 Fri 22-Jan-16 23:20:13

Peadatrician can prescribe melatonin without a diagnoses xx i wouldnt buy anything online as you dont know what your buying xxx

CrispyFB Sat 23-Jan-16 21:05:05

A difference between buying melatonin online and most other requiring-prescription medicines is that melatonin is legal in many countries to buy over the counter. Therefore so long as you're buying from a reputable pharmacy located in a first world country where it's legal to buy it, it's no different from buying anything else from that site if you were already prepared to do so. In other words, yes, it is possible to safely obtain melatonin in the UK without a prescription.

Unlike most other requiring-prescription medicines which you would need to go to a potentially dodgy place for, which I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

Of course it's a different issue entirely about whether you should give it without speaking to a medical professional! smile

zzzzz Sat 23-Jan-16 21:16:38

Buying ANY tablet be it prescription or even vitamins on-line is not without risk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now