Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD - over explaining things

(5 Posts)
Pootrouble Tue 19-Jan-16 18:17:45

Hi all dd is 6 and we are awaiting assessment for asd most likely aspergers/hfa. Problems since birth really most notably as a baby sleep issues, slight speech delay, now we have sensory issues, literal understanding, meltdowns, school refusal and high anxiety issues etc etc. Anyway it's taken us ages to get this far. She so far has a private dx of generalised anxiety disorder and an NHS OT dX of SPD.
Basically school see her as a quiet model pupil with only a few soft issues relating to understanding and perhaps being a bit young for her age but otherwise she holds it together and is 'normal' there. At home different story.

Anyway what I wanted to know is she has a real thing about over explaining things. So she HAS to tell us in minute detail everything! It's soooooo time consuming. Does anyone else have this issue?? So for instance yesterday she got a new bag and she put her stuff in it for school, then when her dad came home she emptied it and described every pocket and feature of the bag in exact detail and described what would go where etc etc! I never knew a bag had so many bloody functions!!!! She insists on doing this with everything! She showed me how to make a simple Lego gun tonite and I burnt the tea waiting for her to explain. If she gets interrupted she has to start all over......... Ggggggrrrrrr
her language ability is excellent

PolterGoose Tue 19-Jan-16 18:28:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pootrouble Tue 19-Jan-16 18:42:00

Thanks polter glad I'm not the only one! She doesn't do it for everything mostly when's she's explaining something to us but it just takes soooo long. She also has developed a big issue with hating the noise people make when eating! She usually copes really well at school but has started taking earphones in as she can't cope when sitting next to certain kids at lunch- whilst she will be ok at school when she gets home she will be in an awful mood!
I have my doubts about her getting a diagnosis I feel she may be too high functioning and they may just say get on with it

Ineedmorepatience Wed 20-Jan-16 09:54:05

Dd3 does the starting again thing! It was found by speech and language that she struggles with sequencing a story! When she is telling you something if she misses a bit she has to go back to the start to put the bit in!

Coming home from school stressed is a sign that she is having to work hard at holding it together all day!

I would recommend Tony Attwoods Complete guide to aspergers! Its a good book that you can dip in and out of using the index.

It took a long time and lots of assessments to get a diagnosis for Dd3 but plastering that book in post it notes of real life examples really helped!

Good luck.

Pootrouble Wed 20-Jan-16 17:17:43

Thanks ineedmore
I get the feeling she will need more than one assessment and that it will take us a long time too! I'm going on amazon to get that book tonite!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now