Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Speech therapist for possible asd 3 year old in Teddington/ Twickenham

(10 Posts)
Chocolatdreams Tue 19-Jan-16 17:19:15

Does anyone know of a good speech therapist that they or a friend may have used in the above area.

I am looking for my 3 year old ds. Got a bit messed around when trying get to book one from the astlip website.

Also I am a bit wary that you don't actually meet with the person before handing over £185 for them to do an assesment.

Just want one that is good with some background information. I am also willing to travel if the recommendations are good.

GruntledOne Wed 20-Jan-16 14:05:31

Try Karen Lansdell or Lesley Wood. I think they're both in Surrey but it shouldn't be too far away.

2boysnamedR Wed 20-Jan-16 17:30:46

Lesley is amazing. Lovely person too.

If you try the website again, I emailed quite a few and as many was busy they recommended my sons now SLT. She is ex NHS and it was great as she did kind of come with indirect recommendations

Chocolatdreams Thu 21-Jan-16 02:24:23

I looked at Lesley and was quite interested. She is located in West Sussex which is 2 hours drive. Is this normal to do this. Drive that far I mean for each session?

Thank you to all who have answered please list anymore you may know please.

I am currently contacting quite a few to get the feel not sure how to fathom when I've got the right one which is why I am happy for the recommendations.

2boysnamedR Thu 21-Jan-16 08:29:02

My sons therapist is about ten miles away and she come to us or school for no extra cost. She was the only therapist I liked at ( Lesley was for a detailed report for tribunal).

Things I like my sons therapist was that my son liked her. I have also used another therapist for my autistic son and both of them got straight down and sat and played on the floor with them. Also when I wanted reports / assessments it was done as normally hourly rate. Both will answer emails, chat and give termly feedback all free of charge.

Chocolatdreams Thu 21-Jan-16 23:18:29

They sound really good that''s my main concern is they all want to do their own assessment but how do you know they are right for your child.

Or do they go by the previous assessment. See I didn't even think of this. They all seem to want their own assessment. But what if after assessment they end up being wrongly suited??!!

Chocolatdreams Thu 21-Jan-16 23:19:34

Main concern is how well they get on with ds that should say

2boysnamedR Thu 21-Jan-16 23:51:55

On the website you should be able to search for their area of expertise. My ds has dyspraxia so I narrowed it down to that. I already knew he had word finding difficulties so she assessed him more around that area. The assessment was £120. It was totally at odds with the NHS assessment of how far behind he was.

My thinking was that his dyspraxia is his key issue. How his brain is weird up. Therapy had to be tailored around the fact that it's not a easy fix ( really it can't be fixed but he does need to cope and get a functional level to communicate - which is coming on now).

However I must say since I saw Lesley it come to light that he's got a more complex language disorder because Lesley was so in debth with her assessment. Unfortunately he is never going to get therapy totally at his level. He needs to be in a speech school but I don't think
I can secure that for him

Chocolatdreams Wed 27-Jan-16 13:06:59

Thank you so much for your reply I thought I responded. I am still on the look out and reading threads has really helped a lot. I have ordered more than words book. I have also gotten assessment appt through post and instead of 6 months like they said it is in 1 month.

Still speaking to some therapist not quite got the feel of any yet. Spoke to one who sounded wonderful but she is fully booked up. She did give me some recommendations though so need to follow these through!

GruntledOne Thu 28-Jan-16 09:41:08

You could also try Juanita Hurley or Myra Pontac.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now