Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Asperger teen with depression - help please

(3 Posts)
plantlady Fri 08-Jan-16 20:05:53

Has anyone any experience of dealing with AS teen with depression. DS2 is 16 and in lower 6th. He shows all the signs of depression and we are waiting for an assessment. he was diagnosed by Camhs last summer as AS and has been having help from a psychologist to address his severe anxiety. The psychologist is aware of what is written below but can offer little advice at the moment, just waiting for an assessment with the Camhs doctor on the depression which is a few weeks away.

Sixth form didn't start great and has gone down hill from there. he's bright and capable but has pretty much stopped engaging with school. he doesn't pay much attention in class, doesn't do all the homework set and certainly isn't doing any independent study. Says that he doesn't see the point of study for study sake. Add into the mix his poor view of himself, doesn't think he is of any value and thinks he won't achieve anything so there's no point to it. nor is there any point to life in his view (and there goes a whole very difficult conversation that needn't be detailed here but you get my drift). We're doing our best to try and help him at home but really don't know how. We've tried banning hi, from computer games until homework done but that leads to a downwards counterproductive spiral and bit of a melt down. We've tried encouragement and incentives but basically the thought of school work makes him low and very unmotivated.

Over the Xmas hols we saw a bit of an improvement when he had a a new project he was aiming for but within a couple of days that had gone out of the window and he was a low, if not lower than ever saying that he would never achieve what he wanted to do and that "schools sucks out all his motivation". He does have a few friends at school but never sees them socially, simply plays on line computer games (with his older brother).

Any advice or even sources of guidance would be appreciated, I really don't know where to go next. many thanks.

PolterGoose Fri 08-Jan-16 21:44:57

Hmm, yes, I have a nihilistic Aspie too, though I don't think with my ds it's depression.

Has ds considered other educational options? If he's really unhappy and not motivated maybe it's the wrong course or wrong setting?

bbkl Fri 08-Jan-16 22:16:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now