Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Are there any benefits to a dx of ADHD in addition to ASD?

(8 Posts)
bbkl Mon 04-Jan-16 08:56:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ruthsmaoui77 Mon 04-Jan-16 11:14:50

I have no advice but I'm very interested in any responses you get as my ds (9) has a diagnosis of ASD and he is being referred for a diagnosis of ADHD as well. He also has very low self-esteem. It's so hard to watch your little ones struggle and to see them so low. Good Luck x

PolterGoose Mon 04-Jan-16 13:42:51

I understand it can be beneficial as medication is often very successful for AD(H)D.

ChowNowBrownCow Mon 04-Jan-16 15:11:05

My DS has a duel dx of asd and adhd. When it was first suggested he had adhd (after he was dx with asd) I was convinced they had got it wrong. But I found out that he did indeed have adhd. Even then, my misconceptions of what adhd meant I doubted them. Now that I have more understanding of what adhd is, it is very clear to me that he has it. E.g, lack of organisation, jumping from one thing to the other, forgetfulness. He is not bouncing off the walls (yet) but likes to have several things on the go at any one time etc. We have tried meds, didnt work out in the end for him, but we will try again another time no doubt. Having had it officially dx has meant we can MAKE the school realise why he doesnt complete work, needs to sit away from distracting doors, windows and chatty kids! I personally think that being able to explain to DS why he can't concentrate etc has helped him. I hope your dd gets as much help as possible and her self esteem creeps back up again.flowers

Bonkerz Mon 04-Jan-16 15:13:26

My Ds initial diagnosis of autism was closely followed by ODD at age 8. He didn't get a do of ADHD until he turned 11 and this was given because he was put on atemoxetine which is an ADHD medication and it has helped.
The ADHD doesn't really come up during appointments etc because the asd covers his needs better but it has helped get help for his aggression and anxiety issues.

bbkl Mon 04-Jan-16 17:42:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

orangepudding Mon 04-Jan-16 19:33:22

My son has a diagnosis of both. ADHD is his primary diagnosis. When medicated for ADHD his ASD is more obvious. He benefits from having both diagnosed in my area as there is more aftercare with medics for ADHD and more help available for school (communication disorders team) with the asd diagnosis.

reader108 Mon 04-Jan-16 20:38:25

My ds has a dx of ASD he is 1O was diagnosed at 5. ADHD has been mentioned x2 in my hearing, choose not to per sue diagnose may have been a mistake looking back now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now