Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Sensory issues and maths obsession

(7 Posts)
sofia31 Sun 03-Jan-16 11:13:59

DS1 is 3.9 and has lots of 'quirks'. He goes to 2 nurseries and both say he is quiet and well behaved. Just starting to join in a little with peers as very happy playing alongside.

At home he has several sensory issues eg
Only eats plain dry food (but eats all food groups)
Won't try new foods and gets anxious ( we never push him, just offer foods)
Dislikes many textures eg won't walk on fluffy rug. Wouldn't touch fur on top of Xmas stocking despite his excitement.
Dislikes wooly jumpers saying they itch. Once on he does wear them.
Hates new clothes because they feel different.
Won't touch some messy play eg fake snow, shaving foam. Fine with dough and paint.
Very distressed at hair dressers saying it tickles. Really struggle to get it cut.
Cries at swimming pool after swimming g because the floor is wet and slippery.

He is obsessed with counting and numbers. As a reception teacher I know he is advanced in this area. He is constantly asking and making up number problems, reads 3 digit numbers and makes his own links eg
Worked out 8+8=16 so knew that 80+80 must be 160.
At Xmas tree show he was just interested in finding all the numbers on the labels.
Reads prices in shops and compares amounts.

He loves games and puzzles which are very structured and safe. His imaginary play is at a very basic level (the odd time I can get him playing those sorts of games).

As his nurseries don't see any of this they have no concerns. Am I over thinking all this?

zzzzz Sun 03-Jan-16 12:35:52

I think if these are the only issues then he's clever and interested in Maths and 3. If there is more or it presents as very worrying to you then there may be something underlying. The problem with ASD (I assume that is your concern given the lay of your post) is that all of the behaviour is nt behaviour, the difference is how much, how long, and what is the driver of the behaviour. Mums usually know.

The best intervention is probably what you are already doing, a focused childhood to support him in the things he finds hard (I would suggest risk taking ie touching strange things and tasting strange textures) and challenge him in the areas he excels in (so perhaps finding areas of maths that will allow him to use his brain that are parallel with what will be expected of him at school). In most nursery classes there are one or two who "get" reading and numbers effortlessly. Certainly mine weren't the only ones wink.

PolterGoose Sun 03-Jan-16 12:49:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Sun 03-Jan-16 12:54:38

I agree with polt. For me the biggest flag is your concern.

sofia31 Mon 04-Jan-16 06:45:50

Thank you for your replies. I am a worrier at the best of times but do think its time to speak to HV now.

zzzzz Mon 04-Jan-16 07:38:43

If you have a HV who has experience of developmental delay (it's ok to ask them if they have, not rude) then they can be excellent, if not then your GP will be a good ear.

Good luck. We have ALL sat where you sit, and I suppose most people would assume we got the "worst" outcome. Honestly? The worry and anxiety are the worst bit, the children are delicious.

There are always several families on the board at the early toddler stage, so if you need to, do post. This board has helped me (ds is now 10) far more than any other professional support and continues to do so.

sofia31 Tue 05-Jan-16 19:54:11

Thanks for your kindness. I am sure I will be posting again soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now