Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Pushchair for 6 year old

(14 Posts)
Shineyshoes10 Sat 02-Jan-16 14:22:13

Can anyone offer any recommendations please. This morning DS broke beyond repair our single pushchair during a major tantrum. We had a baby jogger city mini GT and he fitted fine but before just replacing it I wondered if there was anything better. He's not a big 6yo but whatever I get I would like it to last. It needs to recline because he still sleeps during the day and be very sturdy so he can't break it.

lorisparkle Sat 02-Jan-16 15:09:20

There is a website called special needs pushchair that might help. Many children I work with have a major McLaren buggy but there are some three wheelers on the site as well. In our area there is also a charity that buys items for children that will enhance their life so it might be worth seeing if there is something in your area that will help. The charity near us do not means test.

ouryve Sat 02-Jan-16 15:31:58

The major doesn't recline. Its main advantage is price and availability.

Shineyshoes10 Sat 02-Jan-16 17:32:23

Thanks. I'll have a look at the website. I'd already discounted the maclaren major because it doesn't recline. He cant sleep sat upright. I'll have a look at charities as well although I don't think there is. I don't mind paying if it's something that's going to last.

JsOtherHalf Sun 03-Jan-16 19:12:57

Caudwell children provide buggies for children with autism. The earned houehold income by parents has to be less than £45K p.a.

I can't find the specific ones offered on their website, but if you contact them they have a list of pros and cons for a few of them.

Shineyshoes10 Sun 03-Jan-16 20:16:15

js thanks but DS doesn't have autism and DH earns too much. I really don't mind paying.

Still haven't found anything that fits the bill better than another baby jogger city mini GT but not sure when he'll outgrow it and want to make sure whatever we get lasts.

JsOtherHalf Sun 03-Jan-16 20:31:03

As he's 6 is there anyway your local wheelchair services would help?

JsOtherHalf Sun 03-Jan-16 20:32:19

(Caudwell children will provide buggies for all sort of conditions as well as autism)

Shineyshoes10 Sun 03-Jan-16 20:53:56

I'll have a look at Caudwell charity.

Wheelchair services only give out maclaren major pushchairs here. He can, and does, walk. However if he's unwell he can't walk far. Also when he's anxious he point blank refuses to move unless it's on his terms i.e. throwing himself on the floor. It's useful to be able to put him in the buggy go somewhere quieter to calm him down and for when he naps.

JsOtherHalf Sun 03-Jan-16 21:53:34

cerebra might be worth contacting for advice on buggies:

w3.cerebra.org.uk/help-and-information/grants/

Newlife might be worth checking out too:

www.newlifecharity.co.uk/docs11/about/nurse_services.shtml

2old2beamum Mon 04-Jan-16 17:45:30

Shiney I think the "Ormesa Bug* is terrific. Sadly DD far too lanky. Our local wheelchair services provide them free. It reclines and looks very comfy.

Shineyshoes10 Mon 04-Jan-16 20:01:41

Thanks both.

2old it does look good as does the thomashilfen easy s jazz recommended via pm.

I think I've found a charity that will fund a special tomato jogger. It looks suitable. Does anyone have any experience with one?

dontmentionit Wed 17-Feb-16 20:18:14

We have got a tomato EIO pushchair following a baby jogger. It's still fairly bulky, fits in my megane with no parcel shelf, i didn't check whether they offer any other colours than a beige ( and black) but needless to say gets dirty quickly . +s Easy to push, easy to fold down, comfy for child, feels sturdy / good quality. Any specific questions I will try and answer

ParkWest Fri 19-Feb-16 08:15:30

Hi, my DD was given a Swifty special needs buggy when she was 5. It reclines a bit and quite easy to handle. We prefer our Alvema ITO which we self funded. It's a great pushchair,folds down easily,not too heavy. It doesn't lie flat but enough for a nap. Hope you'll fond what suits you best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now