Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Birthday present ideas, 5 yr old.

(11 Posts)
Toots38 Sat 26-Dec-15 15:43:13

So I'm struggling with gift ideas for DD who will be5 in a few days, it's so close to Christmas. She's tricky to buy for because of her low muscle tone and specific likes and dislikes. I was hoping of I could tell you all what she currently likes playing with and doing you might be able to come up with some inspired ideas that I could get express delivered !
Currently she loves playing on her iPad, mainly spelling apps and the CBeebies website. She got tiggly shapes for Christmas but we haven't used it yet.
DD loves playing games with people but they have to be faulty simple, ie pop up pirate, hungry hippos.
We have marble runs but she's not into them anymore, neither is she interested in dolls or pretend play at an in depth level.
She got a flipping puppy for Christmas and adores it. She loves mr tumble and any signing DVDs.
Favourite things are going fast on her trike and playing on the swings and slides.

I was thinking of the Osmo for iPad but I'm not sure of its too tricky for her.

Does that brief description of likes make anyone think of any good toys or games? Any help would be appreciated.

Oh yeah and hope you all had a good Christmas!

PolterGoose Sat 26-Dec-15 16:17:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SisterViktorine Sat 26-Dec-15 17:34:39

If she likes her flipping puppy then maybe a FurReal animal?

Borka Sat 26-Dec-15 21:19:33

A couple of random things that DS loves:

Kinetic sand

Giant piano mat

Birthdays close to Christmas are a pain aren't they - DS had his in November.

zzzzz Sun 27-Dec-15 10:27:53

an osmo! Got one for ds for Xmas and it is LOVELY!

sort of ipad into real world tangram, simple spelling and adding, and a tracing drawing thing......we have only tangrammed so far because that is just SO good.

What about absorbentminds stuff? beautifully made (you can copy if it's too pricey). Most smaller children like the practical life stuff, but it is all great.

scooter?

trampoline?

wii?

cake mix?

bath toys? mine liked swimming fish (I think the same people as hexbugs)

Toots38 Sun 27-Dec-15 11:02:22

Thanks for all the brilliant ideas. I really like the look of the scooter board and bop it. We've already got the idea spinning chair and she's not keen on it, she not a spinner. Thanks for the ideas poltergoose.
SisterViktorine we have a furreal cat already, she's more interested in our real cat ( poor thing gets chased about the floor).
I really love the Osmo. But it's expensive and I haven't tried it , I talk to to DP and see what he thinks. The thing with DD is that often she doesn't like things that we feel quite sure about so we end up with a huge amount of unwanted toys. Zzz I like the swimming fish, they look fun, so they are going on the list.
Borka you are right birthdays close to Christmas are a pain. It feels like present over load.

Oh yes and thanks zzz for introducing me to absorbent minds. I like so much on here! I am saving this for a proper look though after her bday. Seeing as DD will be homeschooled next year ( she never attended school but as she will be 5 she will have a tutor in Jan) I think it's time to crack on with some learning. The first magnetic kit looks ace.

zzzzz Sun 27-Dec-15 11:09:29

Do you get DLA?

If not I would say apply and use it for buying kit that she may or may not like. It took an enormous amount of pressure off us and has allowed us to try things we wouldn't have otherwise risked.

I bought MIKE desks for mine from IKEA recently and that is a huge success. We HE from 7 to 10 and it was brilliant. ds is now in school and loving that grin Take your own path it's brilliant!

PolterGoose Sun 27-Dec-15 11:37:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Toots38 Sun 27-Dec-15 12:40:47

Yes we do get dla. We've been using it for music therapy and I've been saving some up for riding lessons, which hopefully will start in Feb next year. Music therapy is finishing as our therapist has family commitments so this will free up some money.
Dd's presents are ordered, swimming fish, scooter board, bop it ( I'm so excited about this)and Mary poppins dvd. I've asked family to get the Osmo between them. Thanks again.

Moominmamma13 Sun 27-Dec-15 20:30:25

I know I might be a bit late, but some games ideas.. my DD liked these:

www.amazon.co.uk/Orchard-Toys-003-Shopping-List/dp/B0007VTA5S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451248004&sr=8-1&keywords=shoping+game

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004JU0ETE?refRID=S0ZX7320S1XYZFP74KQQ&ref_=pd_bia_yo_i_7

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002AWJR46?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_bia_detailpage_o07_s00

I hope your DD has a great bday!!

Toots38 Thu 31-Dec-15 21:50:49

Thanks moominmamma ( excellent name). We have got a few ordchard toy games, 10 green bottles, dotty dinos and a caterpillar one, yet to be played with.
I can feedback that Osmo is great! As is bop-it!
Mary poppins was a flop, but oh well. We had a much higher succes rate than previous events, so I'm really happy.
DD had a super duper day.she was a little star. Today she's been a mess though, all virally and hot. Grr, I want cold and flu season to end.
Thanks for the advice. Happy new year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now