Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

son winds hos dad up

(7 Posts)
peppajay Thu 24-Dec-15 14:02:03

I have a 7 yr old son with aspergers who takes great delight in winding his dad up. Think he does it on purpose but not sure what goes on his head - he knows the behaviour his dad expects but he just loves to annoy him. I see nothing of this behaviour when is just me with him but when his dad is around he behaves completely differently .DH doesn't spend much time with us because of our sons behaviour . Mt son knows what behaviour his dad doesn't tolerate but still does it then my DH shouts and screams at him then storms off and when DH is gone he becomes compliant and polite once again. These 3 days are the worst of the year as I have to play referee for 72 hours if hubby would just ignore the behavior I am sure eventually son would stop but he loves the attention he gets for doing it. So any advice on how to survive these next few days would be very welcome.

ouryve Thu 24-Dec-15 14:08:56

I think the best advice would be to tell your adult DH to grow the hell up or just sod off for good.

PolterGoose Thu 24-Dec-15 14:10:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Thu 24-Dec-15 15:40:46

It's highly unlikely that the child with a disability that includes significant deficit in social communication is going to be able to navigate his way out of this cyclical behaviour. His Father on the other hand could and should.
What you are describing is emotional abuse.

Flanks Thu 24-Dec-15 18:35:38

To be fair zzzz, very few people at all have the ability to change cyclical behaviour. Learned behaviours codepend on expected outcomes, even if they are unpleasant outcomes. We dont have to look hard for it in all of our lives!

That being said, it is clearly on the adult in any relationship with a child to accept responsibility for behaviour. Of the child behaves in anticipation of an outcome, and that outcome is undesirable to the adult, then the adult needs to change it.

zzzzz Thu 24-Dec-15 20:05:49

I would suggest that most (all?) of the posters on this forum HAVE changed how they think, feel and behave because their lives no longer allow for the kind of complacency that says "it's just the way we are, we can't change that".

Frusso Fri 25-Dec-15 18:29:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now