Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can a child with no formal diagnosis qualify for DLA?

(51 Posts)
confusedofengland Thu 24-Dec-15 00:50:40

DS2 is 4.8. He has SEN, but has no official diagnosis. Speech therapist, OT/physio & paediatrician seem to agree that he has social communication difficulties, query speech disorder & hypermobility. He is at a mainstream school & has been awarded 32 hours support per week (spent on 1:1) until Easter & the school have just put in an application to have this renewed. This process involved a visit from an Educational Psychologist who said that he saw no reason that DS' hours would not be renewed.

My question is, would a child with this profile qualify for DLA or would he need to have a firm diagnosis of e.g. autism in order to qualify for DLA?

Thank you in advance for any opinions or experience on this - and Merry Christmas!

SleepIsForTheWeakAnyway Thu 24-Dec-15 01:19:10

Yes, both of my ds's started receiving dla before full diagnosis. It's based on the help your DC receives that a child of the same age doesn't need.

chocadd1ct Thu 24-Dec-15 07:54:43

yes. Dla is based on additional care needs, not on diagnosis. You can have a dx but without the extra care needs, the diagnosis will not get you dla. hope this makes sense.

If he get 32h 1:1 at school then this is a pretty good evidence that he does need support and help over and beyond a typical child.

request a form from the DWP. They give you iirc 6 weeks to complete it and the award will be backdated to the day you requested the form.

also google "cerebra guide DLA". this guide will help you to complete the form. good luck.

Toffeelatteplease Thu 24-Dec-15 07:59:28

Yes you write down what your child needs

Bubble2bubble Thu 24-Dec-15 09:15:15

Yes, definitely. You need to list the additional needs that he has in detail ( that's the harrowing part ). There is a section that you can give to his OT, SLT or paediatrician to fill in though you can also just out their contact details and do the rest of the form yourself.

zzzzz Thu 24-Dec-15 09:47:23


confusedofengland Thu 24-Dec-15 13:53:57

Thank you all for the speedy responses, I will get going on it once Christmas is out of the way fsmile

zzzzz Thu 24-Dec-15 14:38:07

My advice is, don't get bogged down, pour a large glass of wine one evening and just write it all of the top of your head, then put it to one side for a few days and then edit/correct/change anything that seems wrong, then post immediately and forget about it.

confusedofengland Thu 24-Dec-15 15:36:32

Thank you zzzzz, I think wine will feature heavily as an aid to me fgrin

zzzzz Thu 24-Dec-15 15:42:31

It's a strangely awful experience. winewould be good.

confusedofengland Wed 30-Dec-15 17:53:19

First step done - I've applied for the forms smilegrinshocksad Don't know how to feel!

If our claim is accepted, will it affect tax credits or anything else? Want to get straight in my head who I need to contact, if anybody.

zzzzz Wed 30-Dec-15 18:31:25

No. It's the child's money not yours. You keep the letter which I have lost so you can use it to show he is disabled if needs be (ie cheap tickets, disabled facilities/groups, adjustments on planes etc).

chocadd1ct Wed 30-Dec-15 18:36:49

OP, it does affect tax credits - they usually go up as you will then qualify for the disability element (by how much it goes up depends on income).

If you are not working or earning less then £110 per week you also qualify for Carer's allowance (£62/week) - you need middle or high rate care for this. you won't qualify if your DS gets low rate care though.

confusedofengland Wed 30-Dec-15 19:36:22

Goodness, thank you, I didn't realise any of that shock Sounds like a lot of forms & phone calls grin

I plan for my jobs for tomorrow (among the NYE house tidying madness) to include ringing/emailing the SLT, OT & Physio, Paediatrician & Educational Psychologist. I'm thinking I'll explain what I'm applying for & ask them to produce a report, does that sound right? And should I ask school to provide a report or leave them out of it all together?

You guys are being very helpful & informative, thank you flowers

chocadd1ct Wed 30-Dec-15 19:48:09

paed/OT etc won't provide a report just because you apply for DLA.
There is a part in the form where you list all professionals involved and the DWP may or may not contact them.
If you have any reports then by any means submit them.
As for school - I would include them. You say he gets 32 hours 1:1. So send in his statement/EHCP too.

PolterGoose Wed 30-Dec-15 19:49:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ilovesprouts Mon 04-Jan-16 19:17:12

Yes you can.

Lucyb88 Tue 05-Jan-16 15:07:04

Hi, yes you can still make a claim, my son didn't have a diagnoses and still only has a partial diagnoses and he got both at higher rate, it will mean that you will probably get more tax credits as you will qualify for the disability element. Good luck x

confusedofengland Wed 06-Jan-16 14:55:41

Well, the form has arrived. Date-stamped 4th January, although I rang on 31st December, but I guess that's about right with the New Year's break.

I've read it through & must confess to having a bit of a cry about it. I didn't realise that DS was that 'bad'. I just thought he was slightly behind a 'normal' 4-year old, because they are only little & need lots of help still. He certainly needs a lot more than 1 hour extra care during the day, so I'm guessing middle rate, but I feel like a fraud because to me he's just DS & I don't expect to get paid for looking after him.

I'm rambling, sorry, it's all a bit confusing.

PolterGoose Wed 06-Jan-16 15:04:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Wed 06-Jan-16 17:08:44

The flag isn't yours. It belongs to ds IF you were entitled to carers then that would be for you. Flat is to pay the difference between the cost of stuff for ds and for other kids

zzzzz Wed 06-Jan-16 17:09:03

Not flat DLA

PolterGoose Wed 06-Jan-16 17:09:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Wed 06-Jan-16 17:25:39

Turning this the other way, if you have got a diagnosis (AS and dyspraxia) and a statemented place at special school, but the additional needs are subtle in the home environment (definitely no mobility issues, but some care ones), is it worth a shot? My friend with a similar child gets it for her son.

ruthsmaoui77 Wed 06-Jan-16 17:26:48

Good Luck with the form xx.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now