Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Does my son have autism?

(13 Posts)
harboromummy Sun 20-Dec-15 13:40:46

My ds is 6. At 2/3 he was diagnosed with global development delay of 12-18months. We changed nursery and he came on leaps and bounds.

Fast forward to now. He's such hard work. He literally is never happy. Cries a lot, doesn't seem to understand sharing, gets overly upset if say my dd looks like she has more coco pops.

He asks questions that aren't even relevant, and his teacher told me this at his parents evening. He talks over children when sat on the floor about something that they aren't even talking about. We are trying to teach him to think about what he wants to say and ask himself is it important.

He very impatient. The teacher went to turn the tv on at school and within a second he piped up he couldn't see. He's always impatient, and can't wait his turn.

Lately when he's telling us or anyone something he won't look at them, looks up to the ceiling a lot.

He doesn't smile really, very rarely. He just seems so grumpy. Even if we try and have a laugh with him.

He hates it when he thinks someone is "laughing at them" or "staring at him".

He also hates loud bangs, balloons popping at a recent birthday party was a nightmare.

He also has obsessive routine. He wakes up at 5am on the dot even still half asleep to ask for his iPad. I don't give it him, but he goes back to bed and cries for an hour. Every single day, without fail.

He's not very sociable. He has mates and he always calls them if he sees them, but his best friend has been round twice this week and iv had to tell him off with how he speaks to him, he doesn't seem to understand!

Sirzy Sun 20-Dec-15 13:45:59

Nobody on here can say if he is autistic it does sound like he is struggling a lot though so I would make an appointment With the GP and ask for a refferal to a developmental peadiatrican.

What are school doing to support him?

harboromummy Sun 20-Dec-15 13:49:12

Nothing and that's what is annoying me. Iv mentioned in worried that he is autistic, she said he could be but she's used to dealing with kids who have adhd and he's not like that.

I thought he was autistic when he was younger which is why he was under consultant care. He used to do a hand flapping thing all the time. And he was non verbal until 2.

I'm going to get him a Drs appointment sad

Sirzy Sun 20-Dec-15 13:50:43

Have you spoken to the senco at school about your worries?

harboromummy Sun 20-Dec-15 13:51:43

Also nail cutting!! That's another big thing, every single week we have screaming and crying proper tears. He thinks he's going to bleed, he's terrified to the point he's shaking. Iv never cut him! It got to the point where next door asked if he was okay

harboromummy Sun 20-Dec-15 13:52:06

No, I'm not sure who they are? Will speak to them after Xmas x

Flangeshrub Sun 20-Dec-15 13:54:27

I would give him his iPad. Why let him cry for an hour every morning? He is clearly struggling. My DD also possibly has ASD. I think a gentler approach is required. Normal discipline doesn't work in my opinion.
It's so hard having a miserable child isn't it? It makes you feel rubbish as a parent (well it does me).

Sirzy Sun 20-Dec-15 13:54:39

The special educational needs coordinator.

Before your GP appointment write down all your concerns no matter how small so they can see what your worried about and you don't need to worry about forgetting something. I make a copy of it to so I can leave one with them if needed!

harboromummy Sun 20-Dec-15 13:58:47

I do give him the iPad, but some days when it isn't charged he has to wait. I didn't want to be frowned upon by saying he has it every morning.

harboromummy Sun 20-Dec-15 13:59:56

Brilliant thank you.
Yes it makes me feel rubbish, especially when my dps dad has commented that he looks grumpy in his photos! He doesn't seem to be able to smile 😪

Sirzy Sun 20-Dec-15 14:00:15

Don't worry about being frowned upon, generally the SN boards are very understanding as most posters here have been there!

I put Ds iPad on charge each night when he finally goes to bed so it is ready for action as soon as needed!

harboromummy Sun 20-Dec-15 14:03:37

He's obsessed with it. And it's defiantly him because my 7 yo dd isn't bothered really. She will happily play with toys, I can hear her in her bedroom playing with her horses. Ds doesn't seem to be able to play. Unless it's running around the living room on his own pretending to fight a zombie x

BackforGood Sun 20-Dec-15 14:35:25

It certainly sounds like he has some difficulties with communication and interaction with others, and yes, as a parent, I would want that investigated further.
In our local authority, the school SENCo can refer to the Paediatricians - I assume that is the same in other authorities too? But equally, so can the GP.
As others have suggested, I would make an appt to sit down with his class teacher and the SENCo, and take along a list of all that concerns you (as in your OP) and see if he is the same in school. Partly so they are aware of all these things if they haven't yet noticed (the Paed will ask the school for a report) and partly so you can say - well, if this is unusual for a child of this age, what can we do to help him? There should be a plan in place to help with his social skills if that is the area he struggles with most.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now